Speedo

wilson

allright!

I've searched the better part of sunday away trying to find a thread. I'm about to upgrade my xe to 31s. I want the speedo and odo to be accurate. I recently saw a thread with pics and part number for the replacement gear that goes in the speed sensor. can you help me find this thread... please? sorry for the revisitation

If you have 4.36 gears then 32702-33G17 will get you acurate with true 31's. It has 17 teeth

If you have 4.63 gears then 32702-33G18 will get you acurate with true 31's. It has 18 teeth

oops, I think its differnant for the electronic speedos

No rhyme or reason to that. I ran a poll here that asked about level of trim, type of tranny, LSD or open differential and gear ratio. I think the only major trend was that the SE are usually auto with 4.6 gears and an open diff. Look it up, it shouldn't be hard to find...

B

well, I guess that brings up another question. is the gearing the same for the xe with the smaller tires and the se with 31s?

The "Speed Reduction Gear" as Nissan called it, I believe is 21 teeth for 31's. Stock is a 19 tooth gear.

Keep in mind when you order the part it'll be the gear and it'll be glued to the shaft.

The "Speed Reduction Gear" as Nissan called it, I believe is 21 teeth for 31's. Stock is a 19 tooth gear.

Keep in mind when you order the part it'll be the gear and it'll be glued to the shaft.

HUH? do you mean it will have to be glued to the existing shaft or its comes glued to a shaft or what? what kind of glue? anyone actually done this? and do you have to take out the third member to get @ that sucker? i wish the scan gauge was compatible with these trucks.

HUH? do you mean it will have to be glued to the existing shaft or its comes glued to a shaft or what? what kind of glue? anyone actually done this? and do you have to take out the third member to get @ that sucker? i wish the scan gauge was compatible with these trucks.

I will post a picture of mine tomorrow night.

The piece they give you has a nylon plastic gear, that is glued onto a shaft. You must remove the old gear/shaft from your sensor, and install the new gear/shaft into the sensor.

As for the location of the sensor. Passenger side, near the back of the Transfer Case. It'll be sticking out and held in by one bolt. Be careful as that little hole that the bolt goes through is easy to break. And keep in mind there is no gasket, just an O-ring. Well, i guess an O-Ring is a gasket. But either way. Once you take the bolt completely out and carefully wiggle it out, it's easy from there. You may or may not have to jack it up, I'm skinny so i don't have to. But it's easily accessed.

Send your girlfriend's numbers to me as payment...

just kidding.

But I'll post a picture after I get home from work tonight. Mine's the 19-tooth design. Still not in my truck though cause I got priorities lol

ok so here we go

this is the speed sensors home, as toby said, it is at the rear of the transfer case on the passenger side. it is help in place by a single 10mm bolt.home.jpg[/img]

the bolt came out simply but the sensor itself was a little trickier. I was able to use a small punch on the flange the bolt goes through to get it to spin. I then worked it back and forth and she eventually came out.

oh yeah, this is when ATF pours from the hole and lands in your hair...

feel free to skip that last step.

this is what she looks like... cool!

unit.jpg

here it is tilted a little to better show the bolt attachment.

sidey.jpg

this is the 21 tooth, got it off a 95 with 31's on it. the only one in the JY. looks like quite a hot item!

it also cost me 10.00!

from what toby is saying the parts is just the blue geared section, which looks easy to remove and replace with a small c-clip on the end.

I haven't installed it yet, as I haven't acquired the tires yet. let you know how it goes

peace

wilson

Edited by wilson

Keep in mind it also matters in your transmission what the gear is. Granted the sensor is different between Manual and Automatic models. But not all of them will be Blue. If you get a replacement through Nissan, it is not held in with a C-Clip. It is the gear AND rod, and it's GLUED on. It does not detach from the shaft.

I thought I had pictures of it out of the bag but this is all I got it seems. I'd take more but my brother still has it.

DSC00436.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

that would be backwards, the fewer the teeth the more times it spins per one driveshaft rev and thus the faster the signal.

Big tires= less teeth

small tires=more teeth