Injectors, Leaking?

GrimGreg

Trying to track down my surging issue I pulled the air cleaner off and took a look down the TB while it was idling and it looked like it was pouring gas in rather than spraying. Would that be a leaking injector? My ECU isn't throwing any codes, so electrically it thinks it is fine. Is there a way to bench test the spray?

My surge developed one day after I had a fusable link replaced. It was sitting idling for about 5 minutes and the engine died, after that it was hard to start and ran rough for about 30seconds before dieing. Did that 3 times then it started right up like normal and developed the surge after running for a minute. Now it will start right up and run with the surge, it continues even when reved. Cap, rotor, coil and wires are a year old.

I'm planning to swap out the plugs and gut the pre-heater on the TB so I'll have the TB disassembled soon. My best guess as to my problem is that one cylinder is getting more fuel causing the surge. :shrug:

The injectors could be leaking, or could have something blocking the "jet" causing it to pour out instead of spray properly. Since you mention an electrical issue, double check your voltage at the affected injector to ensure it's got a good connection.

get a fuel ps testor for harbor freight and hook it up between the filter and the tbi.

Run the truck for a few min to get the air out of the lines and then turn it off.

trun the key but don't start the truck this time.

the Ps should sould say 35-38 when the pump first kicks on. once the pump shuts off it will drop off a little... If it drops below 30 in 10-20 min you have a leak.

get a fuel ps testor for harbor freight and hook it up between the filter and the tbi.

Run the truck for a few min to get the air out of the lines and then turn it off.

trun the key but don't start the truck this time.

the Ps should sould say 35-38 when the pump first kicks on. once the pump shuts off it will drop off a little... If it drops below 30 in 10-20 min you have a leak.

I don't see any flow out of the injector when it isn't running? So maybe my terminology is wrong, it looks like it isn't spraying properly :shrug: .

I don't see any flow out of the injector when it isn't running? So maybe my terminology is wrong, it looks like it isn't spraying properly :shrug: .

It doesn't have to be visible to still be leaking.

Anyway you can take them out and have them professionally cleaned or you can run injector cleaner. Be careful, most I have had trouble with putting something other than gas in my gas tank causing issues with injectors. The only products that have not caused issues are Gummout Regain(full bottle to full tank), seafoam(1/2 can to full tank) and once upon a time acetone(1.5 oz per 5 gallons). I think the TBI injectors are just finiky and sensitive(and expensive)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have 4 leaky injectors and noticed my fuel pressure regulator wasn't even connected. I determined leaky injectors by pulling fuel rail up and putting a brown paper bag underneath them then put the key in the ignition to the on position do not crank though. 4 injectors were wet on the bag so there not holding there pressure.