New To Autos, Weird Smell

wolverine

i just bought a 88 pathfinder, automatic, and it smells funny when running. Its not an oil smell, almost like an antifreeze smell, but theres no leaks. The transmission shifts fine, and the smell gets stronger with the windows rolled down, which is weird cause theres some rusted thru holes underneath the rear seat where the exhaust is(and huge holes the seller didnt mention underneath the cargo area, what goes under there?) Im thinking its the tranny, but im new to autos. I've read the threads where an aftermarket transcooler needs to be installed and to bypass the OE one. thats getting done ASAP, as well as the timing belt, then the CV boot/joint. The truck runs strong, shifts firm *goes into 2nd gear almost unnoticed* i even pulled a trailer with a banshee on it and the truck had no problems. kinda smells like a clutch burning though.

thanks all

Possible burning from hot exhaust gasses - check under the carpets for scorch marks and check your exhaust tubing for blown gaskets and leaks.

didnt think about that. i have a trans cooler from a chevy suburban. looks like it should fit. can it go between the ac condenser and radiator?

I installed a trans cooler from an Explorer on my Pathy, fit right in front of the ac radiator and was nearly a bolt-in job. I think I read somewhere on here not too long ago about the percent difference of heat radiation between installing your trans cooler in front, between the two radiators, and behind the radiators in front of the fan shroud. Having your at trans cooler in front of both radiators will give you something like 30% better cooling (I forget the actual stats) but it is by far the best option.

As far as your smell I agree with the previous post that the holes in the floor are most likely the culprit, in one of my first vehicles (Camaro) I got a very strong at fluid smell when a rusted out hole in the trunk allowed for the heating, and subsequent melting of an old bottle of at fluid I had in the trunk which dripped out onto the exhaust...that was a welcome surprise to find that I didn't need a new trans.

Good luck!

Yeah, if you have holes in the rear, you probably have them in the front. The exhaust runs right under your feet, and when the floor board rusts out the sound deadener starts burning up.

Pic of what my 88 looked like under the pedals, you can see the back end of the Y-pipe:

88driversfloor.jpg

Mine was worse ;)

IMG_0228.jpg?t=1269999114

have you guys ever smelt baked mud? i guess thats what it was. Previous owner used the truck as a farm truck... and when i power washed the underside of it, i must of knocked off at least 40-50lbs cow pies... it even accelerates better.

ill try to get some pictures soon as far as what im dealing with rust.

In that case, I advise you to check/replace the Fuel, Air, and Oil filters (plus the oil itself) asap - probably full of dirt and dust. If possible, remove the airbox and clean it as well (be careful, there is a pad inside that shouldn't get wet and is held in by two bendable braces, be VERY gentle).

I reckon a good cleaning inside and out is in order :P

Mine was worse ;)

Notice the cracking in the sound deadener in mine behind the hole? Yeah, mine was much worse than what you see in that picture, that was taken as soon as I pulled the carpet out, there was more rust and missing floor board once I started digging at it.

...Its not an oil smell, almost like an antifreeze smell...kinda smells like a clutch burning though.

The air rushing past an open window in a speeding auto creates an opening to an area of very low pressure. This in conjunction with another opening in the cab to an area of higher relative pressure (hole in floor, vents, etc) will create an air current which would flow will out the window- and thus, past your nose.

Does it come through the vents? if so, it might be a leaking heater core, although you mentioned that the vehicle doesn't leak.

Brakes? brake lining material is similar to clutch material... just FYI..

• 4 weeks later...

I had an experience with a strange smell like that and it did turn out to be the exhaust heat under the drivers feet cooking the mat.

I want to re-route the exhaust anyway so I put a temporary loose 1/4" plate under the mat. HA!