My Baby Is Not A Morning Person

frecklecolouredbrain

So I get back from seeing my brother in Toronto last Sunday and relax for the day without taking the truck out for a ride; It was reay hard not having it for a week. Monday morning is a new week, time to go to work. I hop in the driver's seat all ready to go and....no start. Wait a few minutes.....catches once and dies. Wait a few more and all I can hear from the engine bay is this rattle like a broken fire alarm. Turns out to be the fuel pump relay; nothing wrong, just the weird temperature swings we had while I was gone didn't agree with the truck, and now I have to wait a little longer for my fuel pump to prime the system...what ever.

Yesterday, I'm getting ready to head to work, warming up the engine, cleaning windows etc. and I notice my tach drop to 200rpm for a second and come back up...OK, she does weird things every now and then so no bother. Well, half way to Tim's and i've got no power. None. No throttle response. Nothing, for 5 seconds unti...HERE WE GO; I forgot that i had kept the pedal down a little far. She did this about 15 times on my way across town, only under light acceleration, or just after putting my foot on the gas, lightly, after shifting. One of these times was great, because I ended up being slammed into my head rest 10 or 20 times, ans as a result, my neck and upper back don't want to go to work today. Never-the-less., it was an interesting drive and I was REALLY looking forward to the ride home. That wasn't as fun. Warming her up after work and no issues. I notice my idle a bit low so without thinking i go thru the steps: disonnect...., set idle and wait 2min, reconnect... wait a minute for eccs to figure it out, done. Everything is fine and your ready to go(i didn't do this last time). No more problems, no bucking, no power loss...WTF. I even tried to get it to happen...nothing.

We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. As for now, I'm just gonna sit in this chair. Beacuse after yesterday's little escapade, It's about all I'm capable of. Well, not exactly. I can look straight forward; stand straight up(but it takes a minute);i can move all my fingers to type; and...If i try really hard, I can reach my beer.

Cheers

Turns out to be the fuel pump relay; nothing wrong, just the weird temperature swings we had while I was gone didn't agree with the truck, and now I have to wait a little longer for my fuel pump to prime the system...what ever.

It should only take a couple of seconds max and you should be able to start the truck so I though maybe fuel pressure but when you talk about warm weather influencing it, it makes me think of electrical connections. I recommend you check the ECU for codes, this may help...

B

Sounds exactly like my problem I had a while ago, and like yours it did it worse after shifting. It was a bad coil wire that was breaking connection every so often and cutting everything off then suddenly connecting again and like you said, "HERE WE GO!" It looked fine from the outside, but then again you can't really see inside a wire like that.

I had to tape the wire to the cap just right in order to keep whatever angle was needed for it to keep a constant connection until I could get a new one. New coil wire and the problem is completely gone, hasn't done it since.

My truck just kinda idles high for a minute then dies down.

my S10 on the other hand is REALLY finicky as of lately. I went to park it in the garage and it didn't want to start. Then the brakes wanted to lock up. After I got it running and let it idle and all it ran fine. but it's like it's mad at me for driving the Nissan lol

*snort*

That's why I said it may help.

Oh well, it's always worth a try...

Kingman may be onto something. My last truck had a nasty stutter and it was the dizzy cap, the center electrode was missing...

B

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so everything has been running great, and the problem never came back...until yesterday. And i discovered that its not a wire issue atleast, as it only happens if i start to drive before the engines is completey warmed up. and if it does happen, i just wait for it to warm up then turn my engine off. When i start her back up, everything is normal. But, if i don't do the restart the problem continues without throwing any codes. %$^&, I warm it up most of the time anyway, but if anyone has any ideas throw them my way, cause i'm stumped and my ECCS is a jerk.

• 5 weeks later...

ok so and idiot took apart his whoe fue system, cleaning and replacing everything he could...nothing.

then he took his air plenum off to check his injector, after reading a thread in here....nothing.

same idiot is putting everything back together and notices two piched off vaccuum hoses.... no more loss of power.

one probem outta the way.

next issue--bad starting/no fuel pressure(maybe).

idiot replaces fuel pump and safety relay...nothing.

idiot remembers that he forgot to put in his new gas cap whole servicing fuel system....those things vent for a reason.

And, as it turns out, fuel pumps aren't too good at pulling against a vaccuum. turns out i need a new check vavle too.

6hrs and $100 whorth of new relays etc. and the problem was solved with a 9 DOLLAR GAS CAP. i think my truck has a sick sense of humour.