Excessive Rear End Shimmy And Movement

Ok so this problem has been bugging me for a long time. When you hit the gas pretty suddenly the back end kind of slides to one side, and then when you let off the gas real quick the rear end feels like it drops on one side a little bit, and then slides back again. I replaced the stabilizer bar bushings, which seemed to help a little at first, but now I can't really notice any change. I have a pretty big hole under the rear seats kinda in between where the two body mounts on either side are, but soon i'm going to weld in a new foorpan. Any other common problems that could cause this or other things to check? Thanks!

like kingman said, link bushings are the place to start. having good shocks too, if it bounces more than 3x when you cycle it you need new ones.

But lastly,and doubt it doensn't, does your truck still have a panhard bar? and how are its bushings?

Thanks for the suggestions. The panhard rod is still in place. As far as the bushings go, how can I tell if they need to be replaced other than obvious dry rot? I'm guessing when you replace these bushings you just get new ones, not from the junkyard right? The pathfinder has about 285k miles on it so I'm sure they have their fair share of wear...

At that many miles I would replace the upper and lower link bushings as well as the panhard rod bushings. I did it to my pathy at 170k miles and it really tightened things up.

• 1 month later...

I replaced my links and bushings to get rid of a clunk in my rear every time the rear body weight would shift from left to right. I didn't know about 4x4 parts or Alkoril back then so I ordered everything from Courtesy Nissan. The rods were a back ordered item back then so it must be a common wear out problem. Anyway here is a list of what Courtesy called them and what I paid.

2 Rod Assembly-Connecting stabilizer 56260N 1987-95 $58.92 total for 2

4 Bushing Rear stabilizer 56243 1987-95 $14.20 total for 4

I must have been dumber back then because I thought I had to order the rods because there was a bushing that was pressed on the rod too.

Wouldnt it be a total of 8 bushings? 2 short uppers (4 bushings) and 2 long lowers (4 bushings)? so for the 14.20 it comes with 4 pieces?

Are they all the same sizes too as with the panhard rod bracket?

Sorry, If I remember correctly I just had to do the long lowers or maybe just one side. I had a friend that works at Pep Boys look at it and told me what I needed to order. He put them on in his spare time. I was quoting what I ordered off my Courtesy Receipt.

Wouldnt it be a total of 8 bushings? 2 short uppers (4 bushings) and 2 long lowers (4 bushings)? so for the 14.20 it comes with 4 pieces?

Are they all the same sizes too as with the panhard rod bracket?

I double checked with my friend that did the work and what we ordered and replaced was correct. The bottom bushing on the stabilizer rod is part of the rod and that's why I had to order two rods, one for each side. The bottom of the rod which actually bolts to the sway bar has the pressed on to and part of the rod itself bushing, the threaded top part that bolts to the frame has the two bushings. 4 bushings do both sides. I looked and I didn't see an upper and lower rod, only a single rod on each side.

linkrod.jpg