Brake Calipers

Nytrosfinder

Are the brake calipers on the same all the way from 1987-1995?

are there any variations to them? And is the hardware the same?

Also how about the master cylinder? Any variations in that between the years?

My idea is while I am doing my engine swap, have a friend replace the master cylinder while Then engine is out...

Edited by Nytrosfinder

calipers were steel piston and plastic piston units for the front I don't know if one was better than the other.

Master Cyls were 15/16 bore in the ealry models and 1" bore in the late models I'm not sure the year of the change over.

resivors varied as well but they all do the same thing.

all the above are interchangeable.

The WD21 used a Tokico 1" cylinder after 07/90 and a Tokico 15/16" from 08/87 to 07/90

There were 4 different 15/16 used. Looks like the difference is the seals inside. The changes are with 4cyl or V6 and auto or manual trans. (the variations changes the vehicle weight)

AFAIK, the only time the MC type is important to match is if you have disc rears, you "can't" use the drum MC.

FALSE! I'm running my stock "drum MC" with my rear discs for a year now with no issues.

I read on here that another member had switched to a Disc MC some time after running the drum MC on his disc swap and he said he could not tell any differance in the MC itself or in braking charcteristics. So I decided to leave my DRUM MC in place.

BUT I may go for that 1" MC if my 15/16" ever fails.

FALSE! I'm running my stock "drum MC" with my rear discs for a year now with no issues.

I read on here that another member had switched to a Disc MC some time after running the drum MC on his disc swap and he said he could not tell any differance in the MC itself or in braking charcteristics. So I decided to leave my DRUM MC in place.

BUT I may go for that 1" MC if my 15/16" ever fails.

Cool, hence the "AFAIK", because a lot of others had said they had to switch them. :shrug: