So, I’M Going To Buy A 01 Pathfinder, Please Help

raypeg

My girlfriend wants to drive in the winter too, and something big, so, I’m going to buy a 01 pathfinder, please help.

A co-worker’s uncle is selling his 01 pathfinder Le, haven’t seen the truck yet, but from the photo, seems like good shape, 110k miles, only problem is oil leaking from the oil cooler according his uncle said.

I read as much reviews about those 01 pathfinders as possible, seems 2001 is a bad year for pathfinder, kind of few Significant Problems.

Just want to have a idea how are they, here is the result.

1 all the owners for the 01 have been all replaced their 6 coil pack after they hit on 60-100k miles, seems like “must happen” problem for the 01 pathfinder. Is that true? Or just the owner has bad experience like to put their troubles on the internet? And how can I check those coils?

2 Transmissions. Some of the 01 owners had trouble with their trans. Are those trans that unreliable too?

3 slow window in the winter and bad cd player. Not a big deal for me, but wondering.

Is there anything else I need to worry about? Any suggestion on buying those 01 pathy? Really appreciate if you guys could help.

I don't know too much about the first two points, I haven't heard much about either item.

I will agree, the windows on my 99.5 are quite a bit slower in the winter ( I dont suppose -50 temps are gonna help you in anyway!). Also the pathfinders with the Bose systems have had CD player issues... most people install an aftermarket head unit.

Check out the R50 section, and dont forget the FAQ/stickied section for some of the common questions/issues.

Good luck!

Well you got the right person to response to this one,Pezzy and her minivan go just aboot anywhere and any advise she gives should be listioned to,since she's been wheeling a mini van harder then most wd21 truck owners do...

Thanks for the response guys, I am going to check that truck out tomorrow.

this car was from US, spend 100k miles in California, so rust free, looks beautiful.According from the owner, he has been done CV boots and Wheel Bearings, Serpentine Belt in the last half year, and cd works fine, nothing wrong with the coils yet(may previous owner changed that already?)

any more advice on those 01?

Anyway, bought this car this afternoon, almost 120k miles on it, but still runs strong, driver's seat can not go up and down, only upward and backward, except that, good truck.

thanks for the help guys

I think 01s had a recall on the rear hatch strut mounts. Since your car is now in a different country, the recall repair may not be free, not sure. Hopefully it has been done.

If it is an automatic, check the threads on powervalve screws. I did a write up on the fix and it is posted on here somewhere... I don't think it ever got stickied, but is linked in the sticky thread about the problem.

1 all the owners for the 01 have been all replaced their 6 coil pack after they hit on 60-100k miles, seems like “must happen” problem for the 01 pathfinder. Is that true? Or just the owner has bad experience like to put their troubles on the internet? And how can I check those coils?

2 Transmissions. Some of the 01 owners had trouble with their trans. Are those trans that unreliable too?

Just throwing it out there but coil packs are usally replaced within a 100k,its a maintance item

and I believe the auto tranny in 01 pathys is the same as the ones in wd21 models,4spd od,these transmissions dont like heat like any a/t so it was probly towing related that they went out or improper maintance.The wd21 had a lot of trouble with clogging a/t coolers and that caused them to burn up.

I havent heard much about the first two issues, but the windows are quite a bit slower once it gets below 30F. The CD player is a meh, I have 2 cd's stuck in mine, but I never use it anyways. And yes if you do have a VQ 3.5 then I would get a mechanic to lock tight those power valve screws.

I did lots of research on my 01 and have never heard of the first two points either.

Like anything you buy, even a brand new vehicle, there are going to be problems. Its more a question of how serious they are and how much money/work is involved in fixing them.

Windows are slow in below freezing temperatures. I generally don't open the windows all that often in winter unless I am going through a drive-through.

CD player can be a pain, but I never use it and I think most people don't use them much anymore either. I have sat radio as well as my ipod for music. Like the others have said, if it does die, just buy an aftermarket unit. You can always pull out both the radio and CD changer and install a double DIN unit.

They may not be the best truck out there, but they are still pretty darn good. Just look at Pezzy's and you can see how a little work can make it even better ;)