Wheel and Tire Choices for STOCK Pfinder

Guest NHxj4x4

Guys,

I'm helping a buddy here with his P-Finder. I'm a Cherokee guy and know nothing about P-finders. Anyway, STOCK 1998 XE. His street tires are at their wits end, so he would like to upgrade both the tires to a semi agressive AT, and the wheel to a AR or USW Black Rockcrawler type. He has the stock chrome flower pedal type wheels right now.

Questions are, can we use a 31x10.5x15, or should we go with a 30x9.5x15? What offset should I be buying for the wheels. I know 15x7 and 6 on 5.5, but so idea on the offset that would maintain the tires being in the wheel well (do not want them sticking out) and not interfiering with the suspension.

Any help would be great guys, and much apprciated. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Todd

Unlike your Jeep (just gonna bust on you here for a sec, I promise ;) ), the Pathfinder can fit 31" tires without a lift on the stock wheels with virtually no rubbing. However, your buddy has the XE with the narrower wheels. If you upgrade to the USW Wheels, they're a lot cheaper than the AR ones, and you can get them with 3.75" BS. The 31s will fit with 4.75" BS (as a matter of fact I have an extra set laying around, still sealed in the boxes...), but if he decides to lift and wants to upgrade to 32s later, he'll have to buy new wheels.

The BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA KOs worked great for me and didnt rub a bit on my stock wheels, but I have the SE and wider wheels and a different offset.

If your buddy is interested in saving a little bit over Summit on the USW 84 Series rock crawler style wheels, in 15x8 with a 4.75" BS and the 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern (Stock fit for a Pathfinder), let me know. $30 each + shipping. I have 5 so he can get a matched spare too...

Edit....I have the 3.75" BS on mine, and they do stick out a bit. The 4.75" is very close to stock spec and wont stick out much if at all. I also have a set of stock SE Pathfinder wheels with bald and pitted 31x10.50x15" BFG ATs if he wants to go that route, and that way you can test fit before commiting to the tires....

Where are you located?

We are located in NH. How much do the 3.75" BS actually stick out. While I don't mind that on my Jeep, he might mind on his P-Finder. BTW, yes the Pfinder can fit a 31 stock, but you can lift a Cherokee for 1/4 of the cost of a Pfinder to fit 35's (Proof Attached, rebuttal over =)

I have a Summit Gift Cert, that is why we are buying the wheels there, but how much would shipping be on your wheels to 03470.

So here is what I understand now

6 on 5.5

15x7 or 15x8

3.75" BS will stick out a little (but how much)?

4.75" is stock almost, wheels will be tucked in.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Thanks!

Todd

AJORA_Front_003.jpg

With my 11.5" tires, and the 3.75" BS + fender flare delete, the tires stick out about 2.5". If he has flares, they'd probably be about flush with the flares. And if he gets the 10.5" tires, it wont stick out quite as far.

Oh, yeah, UPS Ground will be about $65 for all 5 wheels.

You can see pics of the new tires at the bottom of page 2 here:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/findapath

I have a 97 XE, and this is what I know about BFG ATs: You can run the 30 x 9.5 with no problems. No rubbing, no width issues, on the stock chromed steel rims.

Going to 31 x 10.5 will fit, but some rubbing on the plastic fender liner and the unibody will occur towards full lock, and the clearance at the strut towers up front will be very tight, with stock chrome steel wheels.

I used AR steel wheels, I think BS is 4.25, and that solved most of the rubbing and gave plenty of strut clearance. Problem is width: to pass inspection in Maine, and save paint, I had to add fender flares. A shot of the pathy is on my website with the 31 x 10.5 and no flares, you can see what it looks like.

I'm assuming your buddies XE has no flares?

mike

Your right, no flares on his. OK, this is what I think we're gonna do:

31x10.5x15 Yoko Geolander AT's

15x8 USW 84's

4.75" BS

Anybody wanna tell me different please do, especially on the rims, with no flares, will this setup be an issue at all?

Thanks!

Todd

Sounds like it should work out well. One question for the pathy owners though - the stock XE wheels are 15x6, right? So going to a 15x8, even with close to stock BS, will still push the wheels outboard a bit. Not much, they will still likely not stick out beyond the fenders, but its just something to note. Of course, I think a wider stance greatly improves the look of any truck, so I wouldn't mind. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to use this thread for my question.

What are the widest tires that will fit with no rubbing on a stock 1997 SE with stock alloy rims?

Thanks...

I got a '96 Ti (Aussie name for LE) with 15x8 wheels (CSA Magnums)

and 31"x10.5" BFG A/T KOs.

Firstly, I get no rubbing at all (Although I have a slight suspension lift). B)

Second, It all fits under my factory-original flares. B)

And thirdly, I love my BFGs. I know that they're really common, but there's a reason for that. B)

Just make sure to get a matching spare. Driving a few miles on a spare a couple inches smaller in diameter really will destroy the diff. I'm sure you knew this (judging by the pic of your XJ - Very nice by the way :secret: ) but some things are worth repeating.

Anyway, hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I want to put 31x10.5 tires on my 2003 se.

Can I fit a 15x8 rim on a 2003 se or do I need to go to 16x8? Also which would fit better... 3.75 or 4.5 backspacing?

I know they don't make 31x10.5 in 16" size so what is the comparable size tire if I need 16" rims?

Thanks for the help folks!

Can I fit a 15x8 rim on a 2003 se or do I need to go to 16x8? Also which would fit better... 3.75 or 4.5 backspacing?

I know they don't make 31x10.5 in 16" size so what is the comparable size tire if I need 16" rims?

You might want to have a shop test fit 15" rims on your truck to see if they fit. Because yours came with 16" rims, the braks calibers might be too big for 15" rims. But someone replaced his 16" with 15" and it was really tight.

31x10.50 BFG AT K/O's on my stock 97 SE... darn good tires and they look so good. I have minor rubbing when really tight turns come in. By the way nice XJ, I had a black two door.. 3inch and 31's. Drowneded it in a mud hole at three in the morning and had to sleep in it, with no heat, in the middle of January -thnkboutit- . Sat so long in the water it messed a mile long list of parts up.

I've seen some pictures of the caliper clearance with 15's on an 02-03, it was too tight for comfort. :o

31x10.50 BFG AT K/O's on my stock 97 SE... darn good tires and they look so good. I have minor rubbing when really tight turns come in. By the way nice XJ, I had a black two door.. 3inch and 31's. Drowneded it in a mud hole at three in the morning and had to sleep in it, with no heat, in the middle of January -thnkboutit- . Sat so long in the water it messed a mile long list of parts up.

Good to know 31's fit a stock 97

Can I fit a 15x8 rim on a 2003 se or do I need to go to 16x8?  Also which would fit better... 3.75 or 4.5 backspacing?

I've seen some pictures of the caliper clearance with 15's on an 02-03, it was too tight for comfort. :o

I had a set of 15" wheels (rims) for the my 99.5 pathy... had to give em to the hubby for his Xterra... :angry:

When we had a look at the clearance around the caliper with the stock 16's that are on it - we couldnt even get a finger width in there...

well, at least we stopped arguing over who would get the wheels! -argue-

found it funny the pathy rims wouldnt fit on a PATHY!