Type of ATF

bigsyke

I was wondering, ive never seen the recommended type of ATF for a 1987 VG30I 3spd auto pathfinder 4x4. I know the FSM for the VG30e says DexIII, I assume it would be the same?

I want to use Valvoline Maxlife, which is DexIII compatible, but it contains friction modifiers. Could we use Merc6? or DexVI? I really want the added benifits of synthetic, but if we must absolutely use DexIII conventional then that will suffice.

Also was it matic-d for these trannys? or is the 87 before they had Matic?

I thought nissan matic-d was being phased out but the PN was being used for a newer (incompatible) fluid I would be weary of that, incase you get the wrong stuff. I would also just stick with DEX 3, its affordable, its simple and its been working fine for many people.

any AT owners wanna chime in?

I work at the dealer and Matic-D is still available it's used by our techs for warranty repairs. All of our services in the shop that aren't maintence agreements use Chevron MD3, which is just Mercon/Dexron III. Maxlife is a great product but with the friction modifiers it works more as a universal trans fluid. Don't think it would hurt, but don't see the benifit as there are 200k+ vehicles rocking the standard ATF.

Why use the Matic-D for warranty and the Chevron MD3 in all else??

That said, another Nissan mechanic told me that any Mercon/Dextron3 should be fine as long as it is changed appropriately, something about not as heat tolerant??

B

Why use the Matic-D for warranty and the Chevron MD3 in all else??

That said, another Nissan mechanic told me that any Mercon/Dextron3 should be fine as long as it is changed appropriately, something about not as heat tolerant??

B

Nissan requires it for warranty repairs, they don't want to pay for someone else lubes. The chevron is far cheaper than the nissan stuff for services and with the econ the way it is, we have to be competitive somehow.

I was wondering, ive never seen the recommended type of ATF for a 1987 VG30I 3spd auto pathfinder 4x4. I know the FSM for the VG30e says DexIII, I assume it would be the same?

I want to use Valvoline Maxlife, which is DexIII compatible, but it contains friction modifiers. Could we use Merc6? or DexVI? I really want the added benifits of synthetic, but if we must absolutely use DexIII conventional then that will suffice.

Also was it matic-d for these trannys? or is the 87 before they had Matic?

My pathy is 5 speed but my wife's 01 quest van calls for dex3, and I used maxlife in it. Still working good at 124,000

James

I thought nissan matic-d was being phased out but the PN was being used for a newer (incompatible) fluid I would be weary of that, incase you get the wrong stuff. I would also just stick with DEX 3, its affordable, its simple and its been working fine for many people.

any AT owners wanna chime in?

Matic-J was replaced by Matic-S back in October(ish) 2009.

That may have been what you were thinking of. :aok:

Matic-D is still available.

Matic-J was replaced by Matic-S back in October(ish) 2009.

That may have been what you were thinking of. :aok:

Matic-D is still available.

MaticJ is available again, it is required for some transfer cases.... Here is the break down on nissan fluid:

4spd auto FWD or RWD gets MaticD, 5spd auto FWD gets MaticK, 5spd auto RWD gets MaticJ which now is MaticS, 7spd auto gets MaticS, and lastly the Manual trans get Nissan MTF 75-85w.