Possible Cone Filter Cover?

Dowser

Evening all.

I was perusing the forums lately and I was looking at Kiwipete's members ride thread when I came across a photo that got my wheels spinning a little. It was this picture here.

Now it could be absolutely nothing but it was still an idea that popped in my head so I thought I'd at least mention it. My thoughts are, people who run the Petrol Pathy's have the standard air filters and some switch to The Cone style for a little more Air flow to improve things a little. I thought about this but I also Like Deep Water so that was not going to happen for me. I figured I would just get a Snorkel, close out the Airbox and call it good but when I saw the diesel air filter it got me thinking perhaps you could Jimmy Rig a set up that would cover the Cone style filter that has More surface area then the standard air filter and still hook up a snorkel if you wanted to.

Now obviously I know you wouldn't be getting maximum air flow and what not since you would be closing it inside a case but you'd get more air flow since its more surface area for air to pass. Perhaps the Diesel Air Filter case is near the same size? Perhaps this is a completely useless idea? I don't know the dimensions of either the Box or the cone filters so I can only speculate that this could work.

I'm also aware the potential gains would be significantly less without having the cone exposed but hey may still offer a bit for those of us wanting a snorkel and better air flow. I also am aware that the way its set up in a Diesel would obviously not work. Im not suggesting that a diesels would be some miraculous match up, I'm getting to the idea that perhaps a Cylindrical canister could be fashioned.

Thoughts?

Other then how much of an idiot I may be sounding like.

Edited by Dowser

doesnt the MPFI VG30 have more airflow than it needs anyway? I thought gains from a cone filter were minimal.

I see where you are going though dowser and the diesel cover does look like it could work, or be modified to work.

I saw the diesel air filter it got me thinking perhaps you could Jimmy Rig a set up that would cover the Cone style filter that has More surface area then the standard air filter and still hook up a snorkel if you wanted to.

Way ahead of you, Dowser... I keep thinking about Kiwipete's recommendation of making a metal snorkel rather than buying one (not to mention $400 for a plastic tube is a bit steep). I have a local shop that made my custom exhaust and modified my ARB to fit a 2" lift so I have perfect faith in them doing a decent job. The two things I need to work out is I want the forward facing intake with the water separator and I want an air filter with more surface area than stock. I was considering enclosing a cone filter but also thought that another air box (with a flat filter) could be used. I don't care what it is out of, I care about the shape/size of the box, the size of the filtering element and how I can adapt it.

I will soon take a trip to the local wrecker and poke around to try to find a likely option.

doesnt the MPFI VG30 have more airflow than it needs anyway? I thought gains from a cone filter were minimal.

Many people have reported noticible butt dyno results, and the gains are real enough that the cone filters still sell. I believe it is the intake manifold that is adequate but I am certain the air box can be improved, especially when you have headers, high flow cat and flowmaster muffler with oversized tubing...

B

Well I'm glad to see that this isn't a completely bogus idea then. Perhaps it will have some merit after all. And about the diesel box fitting, it merely gave me the idea. It definitely wouldn't make any difference to me what make of vehicle it came out of so long as its bigger and can be modified to fit.

Let me know what you find if you do at all find anything. Its snowing here this time of the year and I'm not likely going to go tromping thru the wreckers till at least spring.

I was also thinking of trying to use like an ABS pipe or something of that nature but I don't know what the maximum size is they make it in. And making it seal properly and still accessible would be something else to deal with.

At any rate. Let me know how you make out.

And feel free to keep commenting on whether you think this is a totally useless idea or not or if anyone else has Idea's that would benefit the topic.