Rear Coil Size

Thunderbolt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys just reading through the topic, those of you who have installed the custom length springs for the rear, do you have to what measurements they were made at?

as all ive got out of it was 160lb spring rate, 13.5mm dia rod and 5" ID, what was the finished length that would be suitable for say a 3.5" sfd?

Before I installed my rear coils I measured the uncompressed length, 18.75". This is 5" longer than the OME Medium rear coils I removed (13.75"). I ordered 5.5"+ lift springs with 160lb/in spring rate. I think these rear coils are more than 5.5" over stock though, cause at 5" longer and stiffer than OME (OME 922 are 140lb/in), they will give more than 5" over the OME, and those are 1.5" over stock.. I'm not done with the front though so I can't say for certain, but with 3.5" SFD and OME coils up front, I think the rear is going to be 1" higher than the front. Having 18" uncompressed length probably would have been better. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...

All done, looks sweet.

Completely stock:

2533729360069305382S600x600Q85.jpg

3.5" SFD/OME, 5.5" custom lift coils:

2314997050069305382S600x600Q85.jpg

2780311280069305382S600x600Q85.jpg

I used Pro Comp rear shocks, EXP-929500, Extended/Compressed length: 29.83/17.32in.

I have the KYB GR2 front struts and OME 923 coils.

Those are 31's on it right now, I'll be putting on 33's soon.

Edited by HitTheTrails

• 3 weeks later...

Bump...

Anyone? How much do the coils differ front to back? :scratchhead:

The coils in the front are much much stiffer then the ones in the back. I don't think they'll work very well. What we need is a coil from a heavy 4x4 with coil springs in the back. Something like an old Isuzu Trooper.

The coils in the front are much much stiffer then the ones in the back. I don't think they'll work very well. What we need is a coil from a heavy 4x4 with coil springs in the back. Something like an old Isuzu Trooper.

Hopefully OME HD (#928) coils will get the job done. I don't know easy it is to source Trooper parts... :scratchhead:

BTW, are you still planning on designing rear coils?

• 3 months later...

So has anyone retrofitted coils from some other vehicle into a pathy???

I have found some stock 07+ coil spring from a Jeep Wrangler cheap. I'm trying to do everything as cheap as possible lol. Last lift I did on my first 4x4 was about a $50 total for an 1.5" suspension lift.

So has anyone retrofitted coils from some other vehicle into a pathy???

I have found some stock 07+ coil spring from a Jeep Wrangler cheap. I'm trying to do everything as cheap as possible lol. Last lift I did on my first 4x4 was about a $50 total for an 1.5" suspension lift.

wj 3 inch lift coils...150 for the set