upgrades

railstop

why is it when someone here asks about doing some basic upgrades, easy suspension upgrades, or mentions "keep stock apperance" everyone jumps in with "get a 3" body lift", or "why would you go half a$$ and do a 1", go for the 3" lift", or maybe "get some jcg or ford springs to lift it"? not everyone wants to go wheeling hard or to change our pathy's too much. usually i just read here, but i am now inclined to write. i see this trend lately going toward duking your pathy out for wheeling. i fear that this attitude scares normal owners off. those who just want BASIC upgrades. how about some basic suggestions for basic users with some simple questions. if they want more afterwards, then yes, good upgrading is great. i'm not trying to trash anyone by any means, but this is a "community" and we should all help the noobs and anyone with purley basic questions.

it depends on what your idea basic upgrades is. most ppl who come to this forum do some light wheelin and want to make it more trail worthy. not many if any come to drop it.

basic upgrades could be like say: basic mantinence , tinting , improve audio, handling ect. sometimes you have to be specific and or use the SEARCH button to find information. remeber its a forum, a place to share information and ideas.

i know this, i have been here a while even though my profile doesn't show it. i know wheelin is a big part, but there are those who just want what they ask. i saw 2 questions in the past week that were about "basic" upgrades and turned into something completely different.i'm just saying, don't assume everyone wants to go hard wheelin. i do not by any means want a lowered pathy, but a stock appearance, maybe an inch above with good suspension and handeling. that's all. the search only goes so far. i posted something about an auto tranny and it doesn't come up in a search. i'm just saying, don't just assume everyone wants the extreme like the past posts turned out to be.

I am glad you're contributing here railstop. This is after all npora site. do you know what that stands for? if you are looking for specifically "basic" upgrades you have to specify. most here will assume that you're talking wheeling not street/stock.

what's up with the tranny?

yes, i do know what NPORA is. i am member 121 (i have better pics but no time to get digi versions). i am just speaking for the noobs. we don't want to scare them off after all. we don't want to make them think that you have to upgrade them to make them great. after all, they are great in the first place.

the tranny's great now, thanks for asking, i bought one for $100, totally rebuilt and it couldn't be better. :D

Heck... I'm basically stock but have had nearly every part of my pathy taken apart at one time or another. This is what I bring to the boards. I believe MX's reply was intended to say (correct me if I'm wrong) that is someone asks about upgrades, the natural tendancy around here is to think 'offroad upgrade'. On a lowrider board, they'd think the opposite. On a psycho-performance board, they'd be talking about jet engines as an upgrade. Point is, it's all relative. If nooB's simply say 'upgrade', they get our definition (and usually a response from MX saying to use their search button :) ). With that said...... <cue the daydream music> jet engine.... Pathfinder.... *drool*

Plus, if you're looking for parts, the vast majority of "upgrade" parts on a 4x4 are going to be to make it more of a 4x4. Its just the nature of the beast. You're not going to find many parts or tricks to raise a truck 1" or make it handle better but not lift it cause with the amount of work and cost involved with doing these types of mods, chances are people are not going to do it if there is little change. I'm sure nobody means to jump on another here, we're all trying to help out. What one person calls basic (simply stiffening the ride or something), another person may just call maintenance, and their version of basic for a truck may mean a lift or monster tires. Moral of the story: just spell out what you mean if you're looking for something specific, or say if there is a type of mod or upgrade you DON'T want to try. That will narrow down the confusion for all. :aok:

I'd like to start off by saying this site is great, I've found quite a few helpful articles here to help me keep my Pathfinder on the road (1991 se auto with 150000 miles) . I've only had it for a year and I have to say it's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I don't offroad (I live in NYC) but I do get to drive in some REALLY deep snow and I've never gotten stuck. I love the truck so much I got one for my wife (1992 se auto 172000 miles). That said I am always looking for ways to improve and upgrade my Pathfinder. Check out this article about improving the performance,handling,towing capacity and mpg Nissan Performance Mag

It is a series of articles detailing the upgrade of an early (1990-95) Pathfinder.

Enjoy and keep up the great work!

P.S. For some reason the hyperlink won't work but here is the address http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/Pathfinder.php

It is a Pathfinder project that started September 2003