Clutch

Stewie

1st post. Not sure what the public poll and vote is all about.

Started loosing clutch fluid and the ability to shift gears over a few day period. It was slight at first. I was just noticing that shifting didn't feel quite right. Then my last trip home I had to almost jam it into gear for the last mile.The only place I could find any fluid leaking was around the operating (slave) cylinders so I replaced it. I bled all of the air out after replacement but my pedal still goes to floor with little resistance and stays there. Thinking master cylinder next but I would appreciate any input since I currently don't have a garage and am also laid off work. Working on Pathy in the dirt and not a lot of money to spend:-(

Thank you in advance and I love this website!!

Driving on a bad slave will wipe out the master(experience). Last time I bought a new one it was like $20 area. Simle job to do especially if you did the slave already. And welcome, feel free to make a new member hello page.

Welcome Stewie!!

The clutch has a damper thingie on the passenger fire wall so make sure to bleed there also, but it doesn't sound like your issue is as simple as air in the lines.

There is a heavy return spring up high up on the clutch pedal arm. This should make the pedal come off of the floor and back to position regardless of any other functioning. Check the pedal/MC linkage before proceeding...

Have someone step on the clutch while you watch the slave cylinder. If it doesn't actuate, the issue is your likely MC.

B

i had a similar but different problem in the summer. if i went really slow in reverse, while pressing the clutch a bit, it would depress ITSELF all the way to the floor and stay there until i puled it up. happened twice then never again. talked to a mechanic and he said "Why would that happen?".

Welcome Stewie!!

The clutch has a damper thingie on the passenger fire wall so make sure to bleed there also, but it doesn't sound like your issue is as simple as air in the lines.

There is a heavy return spring up high up on the clutch pedal arm. This should make the pedal come off of the floor and back to position regardless of any other functioning. Check the pedal/MC linkage before proceeding...

Have someone step on the clutch while you watch the slave cylinder. If it doesn't actuate, the issue is your likely MC.

B

Well apparently there is a return spring and an assist spring. (I took a break from the frustration for the holidays)I pulled out master cylinder, and now when I push the pedal (with my finger even) it kinda slams to the floor and stays. So my 'assist' spring seems to be doing its job but I can't locate the return spring nor does it seem do be doing its job. I see in the diagram where it goes but when I look at my pedal I can't see any evidence of one ever being there. Is it enclosed in the bushing or wrapped around it like everything I find suggests? I am sooo confused:-)

mine has the assist spring but not the return spring also. It just goes back up from pressure in the lines. make sure none of the connectors are leaking also.

thank you for that reply Beast. I was ready to pull the pedal tomorrow and take it to the dealer, because 'the book' says that 4 cyl. has the return spring only and 6 cyl has both and the dealer agreed. I'll get it back together tomorrow and hope mine is like yours.