Taking off the front bumper

red-finder

I am going to repaint the bumpers and the tire carrier this weekend and I can't figure out what is the quickest way to get the front bumper off.

Should I take the front wheels off and unbolt it from the wheel well or is there more bolts than that?

I know several of you have done this for the body lifts so is there something you learned that would help me out?

Have fun with teh spare tire carrier. I took mine off to paint - I thought maybe 1-2 hours to strip and a day to paint (primer, 2 coats and top coat). Well lets say it has taken a lot longer to strip.... Wire brush takes forever, chemical stripper didn't work too well.. Fun fun....

I found the easiest way to get the front bumper off is to have some idiot run a stop sign and just broadside him. Hey, it worked for me.

LOL

Actually last time some idiot ran a stop sign on me I took their bumper off. The Pathy's just too tough. :D

I found the easiest way to get the front bumper off is to have some idiot run a stop sign and just broadside him.  Hey, it worked for me.

LOL

Actually last time some idiot ran a stop sign on me I took their bumper off. The Pathy's just too tough. :D

LOL! Had a guy slam on his brakes in front of me to try and do the "forced rear-end" insurance scam wreck on me. Dude locked 'em up and splat I hit. His bumper fell off, mine just bent. Sweeeeet! Here's your ticket, a$$hole! And here's my new bumper. :aok:

I'll try to take my front bumper off this Sunday. It is a little bent, one month ago I was driving to work and a woman in a GM Celta didn't see that another woman in a Ford Ka had stopped cause of the stop sign... don't know what she was paint attention to... :asleep: she didn't have time to hit the brakes... BUM! And closer after her another woman driving a Renault Clio hit the brakes, but even though she crashes the Celta...

Then, after them, was me, in the Path, but the 2 ton car didn't have much space to stop completely, as they stopped too abruptly and I missed that time to react...

And I crashed the rear of the Clio too. Luckily Clio that I have only the stock bumper! ;)

The three cars (Ford Ka + GM Celta + Renault Clio, each with one person inside) weight maybe 2.7 tons, just a little bit more than my Pathy with 3 people there, I'd guess if we weren't just at about 25 mph as we were!

I got the bumper off by taking the 4 bolts off each side and just took the cover part off. I got the front and rear bumpers the skid plate and the tire carrier all painted in a weekend.

On the tire carrier I just taped around it and covered the whole rear of the Pathfinder in newspaper for overspray. Then I just sanded it to rough up the finish and I painted everything with the Plasti-kote body shop paint from Walmart and covered it with 2 coats of there clear coat. I painted the grill and around the side lights with Krylon Fusion paint. It turned out good, but we'll see how long it lasts.

Guest brendone

Hey guys,

New here and I just just started giving my pathy a face lift too so I thought I'd share some pics. I took the bumper, trim piece and skid plate off. Sanded a bit and fixed some dents then put on 3 coats with the paint sprayer. I clear coated the tire carrier, but not the bumper since it would have been a bit too shinny for me. Also added some Hella FF75's I got off ebay. What a difference. I should have spent a little more time on the one dent, but I tend to rush to much on this stuff.

Before%20&%20After%20Bumper%201.jpg

Before%20&%20After%20Bumper%202.jpg

hey redfinder about the plasti kote... I got a fender and door I'm looking to repaint on the cheap. I mean like under $50 cheap. I originally planned on a cheap respray from Maaco but then got used to the silver door and flat black fender and never had the money so now if I was to just get a rattle can job in gloss black to somewhat match the rest of my paint, it would look great to me. So about how much was it, where did you find it and do you think this would be a good option for my application?