At To Mt Swap

Kittamaru

Well, as she stands now, she holds on gear pretty well on the highway, unless we get a steep uphill or I need to pass suddenly... at least, once she's warmed up. Till then, the Torque Converter absolutely REFUSES to lock in :(

Is there a reason to swap a 5 speed MT in in place of a 4 speed A/T with Torque Converter lockup? Does MT still have the Torque Converter lockup? *shrugs* I'm mostly looking to squeak a little more umph and/or mpg out of the ole gal, at least until I can get a more efficient DD :(

Did you really just ask if a manual transmission had torque converter lock up? If you were serious you might want to consider not doing a manual swap. Or you need to do a TON more research. And all the conversation about who is revving where on the highway and at what speed is useless unless you state tire size and gear ratio...

Also, if you have a perfectly fine auto tranny there is absolutely no reason to swap to a manual. The nissan auto is a perfectly fine transmission, and a great one (if kept cool) to have for wheeling.

Did you really just ask if a manual transmission had torque converter lock up? If you were serious you might want to consider not doing a manual swap. Or you need to do a TON more research. And all the conversation about who is revving where on the highway and at what speed is useless unless you state tire size and gear ratio...

Also, if you have a perfectly fine auto tranny there is absolutely no reason to swap to a manual. The nissan auto is a perfectly fine transmission, and a great one (if kept cool) to have for wheeling.

Thanks for the vote of confidence sammy... no, I don't know if it even has one, and as I don't have an FSM on hand (and most searches I do wind up with 2000 or later pathfinders) I figured here, where people with an abundance of knowledge reside, would be the best place to learn.

Thanks for the vote of confidence sammy... no, I don't know if it even has one, and as I don't have an FSM on hand (and most searches I do wind up with 2000 or later pathfinders) I figured here, where people with an abundance of knowledge reside, would be the best place to learn.

I agree, the fact you don't even know what parts you have or want to put in it should be a red flag to you.

The torque converter is what the auto has in place of a clutch.

Well, yeah, that's why I'm looking at how to do this now when I wouldn't be able to actually do it for at least a year or two, plenty of time to see what I need to learn, read up on it, and even take a class if I had to.

*shrugs* it was a pipe dream more than anything, but meh

Well, yeah, that's why I'm looking at how to do this now when I wouldn't be able to actually do it for at least a year or two, plenty of time to see what I need to learn, read up on it, and even take a class if I had to.

your on a good track. I've spent the last 2 yrs gathering Knowlege for my custom engine build and it may be another 2 or more years before I actually do it.

Edited by MY1PATH

I was not trying to be rude. This is a great place to learn, this is where i learned all of my specific knowledge to pathfinders. But the concept of a manual transmission, and how it works, that little nugget is the same on any vehicle, there are just subtle changes from make to make. This whole thread just red flagged me, and I felt like someone needed to point out the obvious.

Now I personally have done two manual swaps on Nissans. And one on a honda. Multiple clutch jobs on various makes and models. So, that being said, the nissan swap was by far the easiest. No computer to deal with, and just basic wiring to get it to crank over again. It can all look factory if done correctly. Do your research, and I will try to answer any questions you may have. Im not sure off hand, but using a transmission from a newer model pathfinder or xterra or frontier (still within the VG engine series) will have a slightly different gear ratio, you might want to get your hands on an FSM from one of those newer models to check against your year and be sure. Might be closer to what you want in the end.

I was not trying to be rude. This is a great place to learn, this is where i learned all of my specific knowledge to pathfinders. But the concept of a manual transmission, and how it works, that little nugget is the same on any vehicle, there are just subtle changes from make to make. This whole thread just red flagged me, and I felt like someone needed to point out the obvious.

Now I personally have done two manual swaps on Nissans. And one on a honda. Multiple clutch jobs on various makes and models. So, that being said, the nissan swap was by far the easiest. No computer to deal with, and just basic wiring to get it to crank over again. It can all look factory if done correctly. Do your research, and I will try to answer any questions you may have. Im not sure off hand, but using a transmission from a newer model pathfinder or xterra or frontier (still within the VG engine series) will have a slightly different gear ratio, you might want to get your hands on an FSM from one of those newer models to check against your year and be sure. Might be closer to what you want in the end.

*nods* I haven't gotten into any of the transmission classes yet (hell, I can't afford to take any of the auto mechanic classes atm... you have to buy all your own tools here, cruddy funding and @!*%) and I still don't exactly know how a Torque Converter even works... all I know is, once locked in, it's almost like direct power from engine to wheels...