289,000Miles, Need Some Advice!

885SPD

My 88 Pathfinder has 289,000 miles on it (original everything except alternator) and I am sure it is about to need an engine (rattling during start up). I want to start looking for an engine! So what are the difference's? I am thinking of a later model with SEFI! Now here's my real question, I can see alot of info on a alot of different builds, what I want to know is what is the best build for torque? Any suggestions would be great.

Simon

changing your lifters will stop that noise. but if you must swap the engine for more torque and same reliablilty I would get a 3.3 long block and put your tbi intake and sensors on it. changing lifters and putting OEM or re-condidoned 3.0 cams in (the 3.3 cam is smaller) provides for exellent trottle response with no loss in bottom end.

"no loss in bottom end" as in off ilde power cannot be said for any other cam on the market.

Humm...why not just put a carbed or tbi 305 v8 in it with a th700r4 tranny,low first and and a over drive,and 305s are gas sippers... and even the worse onesfrom the worse years are 160 hp and 210 lbs torqe...would be like driving...well a v8 wd21...what ever you do at least your trucks going to live on...

If I wanted a Chevy I would have bought one, and automatics HELL NO (those are for lazy people)! I like the V6, so I just want to have one ready! Sounds good on the TBI I just didn't know how good it actually is! I like the idea of the 3.3 though! Thanks for the input!

Simon

Well I was pointing out that if you went with a 8 cylinder engine (small one with od) you would be getting a increase in displacement and probly better mpg since the engine wouldnt be turning at 3k to go 70mph...But its a lot of work to put one in...Autos are fine,I fine that I get far better mpg with one...but sticks are good(thats what I cut my teeth one when I was learning to drive,and they give you the abiltly to pop the clutch to get unstuck)

The v6 are great,I wont be trading a v8 for my vg30e any time soon and I find they haul the truck quite well.