Overdrive Not Working?

AeroSync

I noticed over the last few days that if I am going 60MPH for exmaple, I am still in 3rd gear. It is going that speed at ~3100RPM.

Should it be going that high, or is it normal?

I am concerned.

i am concerned as well

Check your fluid for any abnormal smells or discoloration. Even if it's good, I'd flush it anyways. There could be a particle of debris stuck in one of the ball valves inside the valve body. After you've drained the fluid remove the pan and inspect the filter screen for debris and clean it out. I gotta get to work so that's all I have time to say.

Didn't we just have a thread on RPM/speed?

What sized tires do you have? You have overdrive turned on? Does your overdrive function?

Like Kingman said, what is the condition of your tranny fluid?

B

I have 32x12.5x15 tires.

No overdrive light on dash, so it is not enabled.

The light on the dash turns on when I press it, so I guess it is supposed to be working?

I will do what Kingman said this weekend hopefully and report back.

Thank you.

Edited by AeroSync

When the OD light is on that means the OD is OFF. Also replace the filter don't bother cleaning it. It's only 20 dollars or so for a new one.

The light is off, so Overdrive is on.

Will do on the filter, thanks.

Edited by AeroSync

My 95 will illuminate an 'OD Off' light on the dash. Change the settings at about 40 mph level and it will become quite apparent.

With the larger and wider tires I'm wondering if the OD isn't kicking in due to load. I know my tranny has some odd shift points and under some circumstances will want to run at over 3000 rpm without shifting. Redline is 5500 so it still only 55%...

B

My 95 will illuminate an 'OD Off' light on the dash. Change the settings at about 40 mph level and it will become quite apparent.

With the larger and wider tires I'm wondering if the OD isn't kicking in due to load. I know my tranny has some odd shift points and under some circumstances will want to run at over 3000 rpm without shifting. Redline is 5500 so it still only 55%...

B

Well I have gone up to 65 MPH, with no apparent change.

Can I just change the transmission filter and put new oil in, and if so, how many quarts are needed?

after 33's mine started doing that too, had to coax it into shifting or else it would rather sit @ 2500 to 3000....I wasn't too worried about it...

Well, as long as nothing blows up, I am okay. I am just concerned, coming form a Honda CR-V that does 80MPH at 2500 RPM.

Thank you for the info. :aok:

Yeah, go for a drive and turn the OD off at 50mph and see if it jumps up. Its possible that your torque converter isn't locking up because the truck doesn't have enough power to turn the tires under load in such a high gear.

Economy is when the top of the rocker switch is depressed. When you switch to Power (bottom depressed) does the light come on or the shift points change? Perhaps it is possible that the switch has shorted and you are always in power mode but the bulb is burnt out?

B

Economy is when the top of the rocker switch is depressed. When you switch to Power (bottom depressed) does the light come on or the shift points change? Perhaps it is possible that the switch has shorted and you are always in power mode but the bulb is burnt out?

B

When I press Power Mode, a green light on the switch comes on, but if I floor it, the shift points remain the same. I have yet to try with "normal" driving.

When I press Power Mode, a green light on the switch comes on, but if I floor it, the shift points remain the same. I have yet to try with "normal" driving.

Green light should be cruise control.

Amber should be trans mode.

Edited by Alkorahil