Off Road Bumper

trenton163

are these even worth getting?

I have been trying to figure out how to mount a functional desert runner style grill guard on my rig, and keep the factory front bumper. The store bought grill guards are mainly for looks IMHO. I want to build one out of heavy duty tubing that protects all the way out to the corners, that will actually deflect brush, limbs, and deer without bending. I can also use it to mount some driving lights :aok:

that will actually deflect brush, limbs, and deer without bending. I can also use it to mount some driving lights

Well, you have mixed purposes here. What will handle brush just fine won't do crap with a deer at 40mph. As a matter of fact, there isn't much available that can handle a deer 55mph, that is actually a serious impact. Search for 'roo bars', the Aussies have it down to an art and you'll see most of them look like locomotive cow catchers or the start of a Mad Max project. That's actually what is required though!!

So, with a stock bumper, you can mount a factory or aftermarket grill/light guard that will work just fine for the light duty it was intended for. Anything more serious and you are replacing the stock bumper as it is a tin foil joke to begin with...

B

are these even worth getting?

That style, I would avoid, they mount low and have material hanging below the mounts (not to mention the low mounted cross bar). That really kills any approach angle, and if you were to catch it, it would pivot up and back. I had one for about 6 months, and ditched it when I started trail running. I have a factory guard now that I bought without lower mounts, but with my 2" body lift it terminates right at the end of the frame rails so I braced it off there, and nothing hangs too low.

i mostly like it for the looks, im not a hardcore 4x4er but i do go, i just want something i can mount lights on. what would you guys suggest than?

Edited by trenton163

Well, you have mixed purposes here. What will handle brush just fine won't do crap with a deer at 40mph. As a matter of fact, there isn't much available that can handle a deer 55mph, that is actually a serious impact. Search for 'roo bars', the Aussies have it down to an art and you'll see most of them look like locomotive cow catchers or the start of a Mad Max project. That's actually what is required though!!

So, with a stock bumper, you can mount a factory or aftermarket grill/light guard that will work just fine for the light duty it was intended for. Anything more serious and you are replacing the stock bumper as it is a tin foil joke to begin with...

B

It doesn't have to deflect deer at 55 mph, only 25 or so would be nice. Also the big heavy duty bumpers are usually made to mount a winch and are way too freakin heavy. I could do a pre runner style grill guard out of heavy wall tubing that would work fine if I could figure out where to cut some sheet metal so I could brace it off against the frame rails under the hood.

It doesn't have to deflect deer at 55 mph, only 25 or so would be nice. Also the big heavy duty bumpers are usually made to mount a winch and are way too freakin heavy. I could do a pre runner style grill guard out of heavy wall tubing that would work fine if I could figure out where to cut some sheet metal so I could brace it off against the frame rails under the hood.

Why not just go in through the openings for the stock bumper in the core support and bolt to the stock bumper locations on the frame?

Why not just go in through the openings for the stock bumper in the core support and bolt to the stock bumper locations on the frame?

I think for the brush guard to be truly effective there should be some braces near the top that go back to the frame somehow. I think the holes in the factory bumper would still be too low.

I think they are used in addition to, figuring that it is really the highest solid point to tie into. The problem is that there is no frame 'near the top' and no good way to get to it. :shrug:

Looking at my ARB mounted, I see how the design reduces clearance and approach angle. I think a square tubing style like GG's could be done rock solid, bolting to the frame underneath and at the stock points...

B

I think they are used in addition to, figuring that it is really the highest solid point to tie into. The problem is that there is no frame 'near the top' and no good way to get to it. :shrug:

Looking at my ARB mounted, I see how the design reduces clearance and approach angle. I think a square tubing style like GG's could be done rock solid, bolting to the frame underneath and at the stock points...

B

I think you need to tie into the frame under the bumper, the frame through the holes in the bumper, and one more time from the top of the brush guard to the frame rails in the engine compartment. To accomplish this you will have to cut sheet metal. :thumbsdown: That is why I haven't done it yet.

so yeah i just happen to have that grill guard ur looking for and its in pretty good cond. no broken or bent parts i have the bolts and what not to put it on ur pathy message me if you still want it

i am actually, could you upload some pictures?