Terminal Failure

olddirtyrake

So, after all the work I have done to this thing now this. I go to change the tranny fluid drop out the old fill with new, now it wont shift into any gears. On top of that my engine pours out oil. Cant figure out where its coming from, tightned valve covers and oil filter. Seems to be coming from passenger side of the engine around where the head bolts onto the block, but I havent located the exact position. May also have a severe crank or cam seal leak unless its getting into there from leak around head. So I'm really frustrated after thinking its time to get on the road now it may never see the trails. Going to try and figure these leaks out but may be selling this thing for parts or repair.(anyone looking to buy a nightmare lemme know I'll post some pics) :(

Is there anything else around that area that might leak? Where is the oil pump?

I poured a bunch of new oil into the valve cover fill site and it didnt want to fill the engine. poured 6qt in and didnt touch the dipstick WTF why would it do this.

Edited by olddirtyrake

Where is the oil pump?

Oil pump located behind front main seal. If you have FMS or pump gasket leak, only bottom of engine (and probably all parts inside timing belt cover) will be oiled.

Wipe dry all suspected areas, apply talcum powder and try to locate leak point again.

also, the engine oil leak could very possibly be a cam seal.

my right hand side one leaks when its on its side.

Yeah, my right side one was dribbling slightly, and I believe Tex stated something like 3/4 engines he has seen leak on that side, but not on the other... :shrug:

*snort*

I'll have to tip my pathy over to see if I fixed the leak well. :D

B

Yeah, my right side one was dribbling slightly, and I believe Tex stated something like 3/4 engines he has seen leak on that side, but not on the other... :shrug:

*snort*

I'll have to tip my pathy over to see if I fixed the leak well. :D

B

Ya go figure, Oil leaking out of the passenger side cam seal. Still cant figure out why oil wont drop down into engine seems to stay in valve cover. so the cam seal wont be that bad, as long as the tranny shifts. I cant really see if the tranny is going to shift until I get oil to stay in the engine to fire it up.

did you change the tranny filter?

also, the engine oil leak could very possibly be a cam seal.

my right hand side one leaks when its on its side.

So it is a filter and not a screen? No I havent changed it yet because I drained old oil put new in to let it mex to get the most of the bad out. I was planning on dropping the pan after it mixed with the new a bit to maximize the amount of good fluid in tranny. So if the screen or filter is clogged it wont shift I bet huh?

poured 6qt in

Whatever you do, make sure to get the level right before starting it. If it is all trapped in the head, then you'll be starved. If it all migrates to the pan like it should, you could seize the engine with that much overfill in the pan.