Suspension Lift With Or Without Shocks

1994pathfinder

Okay im looking to put a 3" suspension lift on my 94' pathfinder. im a little confused. Can you purchase a suspension lift with just lifting springs hardware and control arms without longer shocks, and just use that set up? or do they sell a suspension lift without shocks so that you can choose which shocks you want? if you can just use lifting springs and control arms, what are the shocks needed for or what do they help with? and after the 3" lift could i put on 265/85-r15 tires or would they be too big?

thanks

rancho rs5112 for rear, and rancho rs5214 front are what i am using. the rear shocks are longer than stock so you get more articulation from the rear axle.

those tires are pretty tall and you will need to do some major fender trimming to fit them. You should also get some wheels that have a bit more backspacing to prevent them from making contact with the frame when you stuff a rear tire. Your gas mileage is going to take a huge hit too. IMO 32's or 33's are the perfect size for these trucks if they are lifted, 31's if it's not. 4.63 gears will be much better than the 4.3 gears also found on these trucks.

if you don't plan on doing a body lift, get some 265/75 r16's(~32") for tires.

search and read some more. there is lots of info in the garage section for you to read. go look at the members rigs sections and get an idea of what others have done.

when I put springs in my old shocks still had some life in them but after topping out over every tip in the road the valving inside was so trashes that when I tooke em out I could collapse them under my weight in about half a second. after I put some rancho 9112's in back everything was awesome.

my personal reccomendation for tires would be the original uniroyal laredo AWT. I dono if they make it anymore or if its even the same but with its 6ply tread it would never get a flat and lasted me over 80,000 miles. great on and off road tire.

I'm currently running Nokian Vatiiva MT's, they are smooth on-road but a hair loud and AMAZING off road. Its only weaknesses I've found so far are slipery bare roots and ICE. but then most tires have trouble there... prolly won't last as long as the Laredos did.

both where a 31x10.5r15

Edited by MY1PATH