Oil Change Interval

vanuatoo

17 members have voted

1. 1. What maintenance schedule do you follow?

• 3750 miles or 3 months (VG33E, 1996-2000)
    • 7500 miles or 6 months (VG33E, 1996-2000)
    • 3750 miles or 3 months (VQ35DE, 2001-2004)
    • 7500 miles or 6 months (VQ35DE, 2001-2004)
    • Other (Please specify)

Since I don't use synthetic, I change mine about evey 3000 miles. I use Castrol GTX High Milage 5w-30. When I get the money (after replacing all my bushings) I will be buying a master engine rebuild kit and then switching to fully Synthetic oil. Haven't decided which one though. I hear good things about Mobil 1 (The only synthetic I've ever used was Royal Purple. But that was in my RX-7 and the pathy doesn't justify $16 per quart!)

Jose

I use Amsoil synthetic with an Amsoil EA oil filter designed for extended drain intervals. I change my oil once per year or after 15,000 miles.

Do you add oil between changes and if yes what amount?

Also what are your driving conditions? (Mostly on highway, Mostly in city, mixed mode)

Do you add oil between changes and if yes what amount?

Also what are your driving conditions? (Mostly on highway, Mostly in city, mixed mode)

I burn almost zero oil @114k miles. Driving is mixed city/highway. The Amsoil helps with oil consumption (less likely to vaporize than just about any oil available here in the US) but my consumption was only a fraction of a quart every 7-8k to start with.

Edited by CaughtLikeFire

Every 4K, I use M1 with a Napa Gold filter (which is made by Wix and also matches the largest off the shelf size filter). I have come to the conclusion that I personally can't stand seeing the oil dirty past this number. I would use the M1 Extended Performance, as I did see that the truck consumed less oil, but I change my at a smaller interval any way so why waste the dough?

I have wanted to use Amsoil products out of curiosity, but never plan for it ahead. I also read from Amsoils own site that the M1 EP is the closest competition to their product.

edit: 2002 VQ power

Edited by 02silverpathy

Castrol Fully Synthetic 5W-40. Purolator PureOne Filter.

Changed based on usage. If I've been wheeling or driving in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, I'll change it at 3k miles or so. If I've just been on long trips, I let the change interval go to 4k or 5k miles.

Nissan OEM filter w/ Castrol Syntec 5W-30 but for the next change (this weekend) I'm debating trying Castrol Edge and seeing if it lives up to the hype. I'm still not sure, though.

As for intervals, I tend to stick with either 5,000km (~3,000miles) or every 6 months. Pretty much in spring, then again before the snow hits. :aok:

Nissan OEM filter w/ Castrol Syntec 5W-30 but for the next change (this weekend) I'm debating trying Castrol Edge and seeing if it lives up to the hype. I'm still not sure, though.

As for intervals, I tend to stick with either 5,000km (~3,000miles) or every 6 months. Pretty much in spring, then again before the snow hits. :aok:

so you'll be called Jimmy(or JIMMY!!!) from now on...

I use Mobil 1 5W-30... change once a year, which for me is about 7-9,000 miles per year. Using a standard Purolator filter... I change my oil and filter in the spring each year... and also change the filter once along the way - usually about this time of the year. Hmmm... that reminds me, I have something to do this weekend... :-)

I change the oil every 5000 Kms and then change the filter as well every 10000 Kms.

Just clocked up 165000 Kms on a February 2003 Model.

I am also running on LPG and do a bit of towing as well.

Have done about 70000 Kms towing an 1800Kg Caravan (Camper Trailer)

Cheers,

Do you guys also follow time interval?

I mean do you change every three or six month no matter what mileage do you have?

For instance it takes 6 months for me to drive 3750 miles.

In three months I drove about 2000 miles and according to manual I should have changed the oil and filter.

Do you guys also follow time interval?

I mean do you change every three or six month no matter what mileage do you have?

For instance it takes 6 months for me to drive 3750 miles.

In three months I drove about 2000 miles and according to manual I should have changed the oil and filter.

That's just the thing. Most follow a "which ever comes first" approach. I've had my R50 for about 18 months, and have put on about 14,500km. I've changed the oil an filter three times, usually going with a six-month timeframe. 14,500/3=~4,900km which is close enough to 5,000km. Six months came faster so I went with that. :aok:

In your case, a similar approach seems reasonable. It really depends on how you drive. My city/highway ratio is about 80/20 and two oil and filter changes per year have worked quite well. I've done very little offroading but when I have gone I've always made sure to check my oil after depending on how hard I pushed the engine. I love how much of a tank the VG33E is and to that end it's great on oil (in my personal experience, anyway). :togo:

The most important factors to consider would be mileage over time and the conditions in which you drive. :)