My Rebuilt Starter Story

prginocx

In Feb. of 07 I struggled for 2 months with an intermittent starter problem. There are at least two long rambling posts on here about my ordeal. It was finally solved after install of the 2nd rebuilt starter from AutoZone ( Napa has minimal Nissan Pathy parts ). Anyway, 2 weeks ago that starter failed, and when I say failed, I mean I stopped for gas while driving 300+ miles home from a hunting trip. Turned off the car to put the gas in ( safety first ). Would not start, not even making a clicking sound. Pop the hood, the damn starter assy IS IN PIECES. One piece still bolted to the flywheel assy, one huge piece dangling from the big wire that goes to the battery. And several pieces caught in the skid plate. Evidently the starter is held together by two loooong bolts which came loose and the whole deal fell apart.

I replaced it with a rebuilt starter from the dealership, which was almost $100 more... I've just had it with Autozone parts in general. The only good thing about that store is they are open long hours...

Has anyone else had this trouble with starters ? What could have caused this failure ? Thank GOD I was able to bump start my pathy...

On an unrelated note my heater / ac controls section is dark. Is there a tiny bulb back there to replace ? I hate takin' that thing apart...

You can change the bulbs in that thing. I had to do it on my old pathy.

Also yeah we've had a bunch of people on here complaining about autozone reman stuff. Mostly starters and alternators. Thats why I always go to either the dealer or a local place here.

Napa is a bunch of jerks when it comes to "****** import" car parts (thats what they said to me)

I've just had it with Autozone parts in general. The only good thing about that store is they are open long hours...

Has anyone else had this trouble with starters ? What could have caused this failure ? Thank GOD I was able to bump start my pathy...

On an unrelated note my heater / ac controls section is dark. Is there a tiny bulb back there to replace ? I hate takin' that thing apart...

I went out of my way and paid more money a few days ago to get a new Interstate battery for my truck before cold weather sets in. Nothing screams CHEAP like opening a hood and seeing a Durabrand battery. Also my heat / ac controls backlight is out too but it hasn't bothered me enough to tear into the dash yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, knock on wood, my starter hasn't been too bad. The only issue I have is that maybe 3 out of 5 times I try to start it. I can hear the solenoid pick up and the starter turns but I can hear the gear just tapping on the flywheel. If I rock back and forth with it in gear and try to start it again it comes right up. Seems like the teeth aren't aligning every time, maybe a weak solenoid?

Possibly, or rounded out teeth on the flywheel and it's slipping.

You're not referring to the clatter of a dead battery are you? If so your hold in winding in the solenoid is weak and not holding the plunger in and keeping the flywheel engaged, so it pops back out and the pull in winding sucks in back in again and so forth.

Edited by Kingman

Napa is a bunch of jerks when it comes to "****** import" car parts (thats what they said to me)

Base the opinion of a nation wide chain of stores on the impression made by one store in Canadia? No thanks!!

More like Canadian Napa employees are jerks to Adam... ;)

B

Every NAPA store I've ever been to have been wonderful with helping me out, cross referencing parts, and coming out to my truck to see what hoses and such can be made to fit if they don't have the correct replacement in stock. Only gripe I have with them is that here they all close at 6:00. :thumbsdown:

idk about you guys but i went to the dealer for my new starter

it was expensive, about $240 after the core charge refund, but it was worth it

OEM Nissan starters will last you a while if not forever

i would hate to be changing it every year or be worrying about it being bad

paying a little extra just gave me a peace of mind and no amount of money can replace that

Every NAPA store I've ever been to have been wonderful with helping me out, cross referencing parts, and coming out to my truck to see what hoses and such can be made to fit if they don't have the correct replacement in stock. Only gripe I have with them is that here they all close at 6:00. :thumbsdown:

Napa guys typically are more helpful from my experience as well.