Fitting 33's on the AC lift

01silvapathy

Hey yall, long time since I have posted up a topic on here. As some of you may know I have been waiting for my SFD to arrive for some time now, and I was planning on getting new tires when I finally installed that lift. Well its been put off wayyy to long, and my tires I have now are quickly becoming a safety issue for me. I know i want to get new tires, But I want to buy some that will still look good after the SFD goes on. So with that I was wanting to know who all has successfully mounted 33x10.5's on just the ac lift and off set wheels? I believe that GPG has. but im not for sure. I know there will be ALOT of trimming that will need to be done, but it might just wind up being worth it in the end, either that or I cant drive lol. Thanks in advance for any help.

It really depends on the tires you choose... If i remember good gpg had truxs that were 32.5 OD. I'm looking for BFG KM2 which are 33.3 That's a whole 3/4 inch more /2 to find for space... I know for sure, the hardest will be at the back just behind the rear doors.... At full flex... I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove some metal material at the rear fender.... for the front it's just plastic...

Too bad you have to do it right now, cause I would be able to better help you somewhere in the beginning of next trail season as I'll be putting mines... Well, if you go for it, take pictures (flexing that is)...

S.

Thanks for the info Fleurys, at this point its terrible I have zero traction in anything wet. I have a buddy with 285/75/16 BFG AT's he will just give me, if I buy the wheels. But im wondering what offset would be best for that. I just cant wait for this stupid sfd to get here....if it ever does. And when it does it wont go on til summer when I actually have a place to install and the time to do it. I will let yall know when/if im doing this.

Thanks for the info Fleurys, at this point its terrible I have zero traction in anything wet. I have a buddy with 285/75/16 BFG AT's he will just give me, if I buy the wheels. But im wondering what offset would be best for that. I just cant wait for this stupid sfd to get here....if it ever does. And when it does it wont go on til summer when I actually have a place to install and the time to do it. I will let yall know when/if im doing this.

not sure about offset #'s but you'll want the backspacing to be about 3.5" - 4" no more no less

Yeah, I got 'em to fit. TrXus 255/85-16s that came in at 32.8" BUT that was after basically removing the fender flares, removing pretty much all the plastic in the wheelhouse (few pieces left), 3.125" backspacing and new struts (hadn't sagged).

The problem was that the tires took up so much room they whacked the rest of the body pretty much any time the suspension seriously flexed. The 1.2" over the BFGs didn't sound like much when I ordered them, but the increased tire size and the very aggressive lugs made a real difference. I ran into the same problem when I tried 35s on the Yota. Even with low backspacing the 35s were hitting the frame and killing flex. Went back to the 33s.

Basically, I think you practically need an SFD/SAS to really use 33 and up to their full potential... Not saying it can't be done. Just that there are limits and the noise/bashing can get pretty annoying. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure about the spacing of the steelies on the back, but Alex seemed to fit 285/75/16 muds on with just 1.5in wheel spacers in the front and the steelies in the back. The only issue he had with fitment was the door side fender being a bit of a problem. He is taking pics as I speak :whip: I believe that is what im going to be doing soon, the only concern I have is fitting that wide of a tire on my stock wheels (double tri spoke) But I guess it will have to do im tired of skidding all over the road in the rain lol. PICS

ACLift33s2.jpg

ACLift33s3.jpg

ACLift33s.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy

I had to basically take out all the plastic stuff at the back. The problem I ran into was that flex dropped pretty dramatically. As the pic shows, the 33s fill out the wheel wells so much that you lose some maneuverability.

Of course, Alex probably has some superultrawonder thing going on that mere mortals couldn't understand. :P

Edited by GoPathyGo

I had to basically take out all the plastic stuff at the back. The problem I ran into was that flex dropped pretty dramatically. As the pic shows, the 33s fill out the wheel wells so much that you lose some maneuverability.

Of course, Alex probably has some superultrawonder thing going on that mere mortals couldn't understand. :P

:rofl:

Uh-oh, you just opened a can of worms, Jaya... :D

Wow alex has really stepped his game up on the tires. Those are freakin huge! With the wide footprint, they would do good in mud and snow.

I had the same problem with the bottom of the fender (closest to the doors) basically where the mudflaps attach. I took a huge rubber mallet and bashed those things in, on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had the crappiest day of my life, found out my pass front tire did this

080-3.jpg

081-3.jpg

078-3.jpg

Glad I found out and switched over to the spare, a blowout is the last thing I need now. So I guess next up are some 1in. wheel spacers for the front and 33's :D

:new576: Yuppers, I ordered the spacers, only 80 bucks shipped :D The plan so far is to just drive on the spare until I drive to my friends for thanksgiving, then install the spacers and get the tires mounted on my double tri stars. The sad part is that im gaining the same amount of lift just with the diff in tire size than what the actual lift gained me

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. People get too hung up on the lift - it's practically as bad as the "size matters" issue. I've run 35s (35.3 SSRs and they felt bigger) on the Yota and the actual ground clearance and ride height difference over 33s wasn't that great. My own highly unscientific observation is that it's a matter of diminishing returns. Stock -> AC lift yields a noticeable change. Stock tires -> 32s yields a noticeable difference. 32->33 and 33-> 35 is a "meh". I'd have to go to 37s to really notice a difference and gain big clearance advantages over the 33s I have on now. :shrug: I think folks on this board have demonstrated that you can do some pretty impressive things with moderate lifts. As they say,"It's how you use it..."

Edited by GoPathyGo

Just to comment, my 3" BL over stock felt HUGE....3" SL after BL was meh (could feel it but not as much), and vs the apx 2-3" that I supposedly got from 33's, I could almost NOT feel that lift.....and now that i've driven on 33's for a bit, its hard to even imagine how low it was stock :S

Well, here is the issue with your setup- you had a rediculous amount of offset on your wheels, like 3.2 or whatever, By using the stock wheels, they can tuck in the back, and up front, the backspace will be about the same as your wheels were with the spacer. But the front doesnt flex anyways so there is no problem there.

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy