Tie Rod Ends

OldSlowReliable

Just spent as much as I did for ALL MY LIFTS on 4 TRE and an alignment

Mom makes the decisions, I pay the bills....

$50 moog TRE x4

$33 Sleeves x2

$67 Alignment

$99 LABOR!!!

Now, he told my ma he cut me a 'deal'.....a deal of about 50 bucks....but COME ON!!!

Came out to 410.78, but considering he should have gotten the $10 OE TRE and sleeves.....that in itself would have saved SO much of the bill, and plus, he told me my drivers side OUTER was bad, then called my ma later to say they actually have to replace all four..

I was alright parting with an extra 60 bucks or so for an outer TRE, but when its all four, plus sleeves, plus labor, thats a TAD excessive! At that point, I would have done it myself for UNDER 100 bucks, and about 1-2 hours in the garage...

There goes ANY modifications, or wheeling in the next few months.....including this weekend...

Plus, I had been excited to be selling my old tires for 200 with a VERY prospective buyer.....but now thats just gonna try and balance out the 400 bucks in tie rods...

These are what I was hoping to do with the money I just spent on TRE...

GPS

Backup Cam

Mudflaps

Repair Rockers

Rock Sliders

Skid Plates

Winch Mount

Winch

WHEELING

Jerry Can

Fix Rust

I hate sears.

That is way cheaper than I was quoted to do mine. An alignment here is 79.99 and that is the cheapest I've found. Plus tie rods are 65, and labour is 75-100 an hour on average.

Well, im sure the guy cut me a decent break on the labor, They musta put more than an hour into the tie rods (claimed they were rusted to all hell), so I'm not so much mad at the price for the payoff, but the fact that for under 100 bucks, I coulda done it myself, and had a fresh set of corbeau baja seats in my truck!

You didn't look or ask to have all used parts returned??

B

X2 I always ask for the old parts back. The excuse I use is, that I need it for the core refund, when in reality I just want to make sure they change the part. I usually supply the mechanic the parts as I can get them dirt cheap.

Edited by adamzan

I always ask for the parts back, but sears didn't give me the option, and considering what MOST of my bolts are, it wouldn't surprise me that they are rusted to all hell....

As for replacing them, there is an OBVIOUS difference between stock vs moog, these are black-ish, and look a little beefier....

Ima test my theory later, but if mine doesn't pan out, I don't doubt the TRE was bad (when I tested em, the steering wheel was moving making me THINK they were bad)

I'll be buying spare TRE anyways, never know when one of them could snap on the trail

Unless they were just lazy and didn't want to disassemble the old tie rods, there is no reason to replace the sleeves.

I was seriously considering that.....but given how rusted everything is on mine, I wouldn't be suprised if they were seized completely

I just keep the old tie rods (left them assembled) for spares. Also have 2 spare centerlinks (The guy at the store said keep it when I exchanged my moog one for a new moog one.)

Oh yeah, I found the quote they gave me for everything:

Drivers side tie rods 65X2

Centerlink 250

Inner and outer bearings and races, both sides 150

Passenger side upper ball joint 75

4 wheel alignment 89.99

With some other things It came to around 1400 with labor and tax. Glad I did it myself. Given this was the second time the centerlink was going to be replaced in 6 months I'm glad I learned to DIY.

Edited by adamzan