Anti lock brakes/winter driving

onefast87

hi guys, im new to the forum and pathfinders.I own a z31 so im familiar with the VG30.

Im not used to driving a vehicle this size, and have some concerns about winter.

1)My question is, when i get on a slippery road and hammer the brakes, they completely lock up, i don't feel any pulsating in the pedal.

what should i be looking at?

2) how well does the pathfinder handle in winter? I do lots of highway driving, is it safe to drive at 100KM in 4x4?

1991 Pathfinder

Green

Auto

4x4

Fully loaded, truck now has 176000KM's

It's in Great condition

couple of pics

pathy003.jpg

pathy002.jpg

pathy007.jpg

The ABS on these trucks is rear wheel only. I would reccomend running the factory tire pressure (26psi) to help with traction. They handle the winter perfectly. That is why I bought mine!

About the 4wd. It says that in 4hi you can do highway speeds but if you need 4wd on, should you really be going that fast? I don't run winter tires but it would probably help. Or just get some AT's.

Just drive how you would normally drive in the winter, leave lots of stopping distance, start off slowly, etc...

Also check your frame for rust, clean it out and have it undercoated/oil sprayed. There are many threads on this forum to show why you should do this.

I'm not sure when they started the ABS on these, but judging by your instrument panel I'm not sure you even have it. (I don't see a indicator lamp for the ABS like mine has). As adamzan says the ABS (if installed) is rear wheels only, and it isn't individual rear wheels. In order for the ABS to activate both rear wheels have to lock.

As far as highway speed in 4x4 mode. I've done this plenty of times in wet weather conditions (rains a lot in Florida). Tires should all be same size (even down to the amount of wear on the tires) and tire pressure should all be same also. Otherwise, you'll notice a slight shuffle because of tire mismatch.

As adamzzn stated drive accordingly to the condition. Snow and ice are a lot slicker then just a wet road.

no true ABS on these trucks.. ABS like, sure.. on some later models.

I do lots of highway driving, is it safe to drive at 100KM in 4x4?
not on the highway. flip your visor or open your OM and read about it. you really shouldn't be going over 45mph in 4x4hi and 25mph in 4x4lo.

You can for short periods... but here's the way to do it - start the truck, engage 4x4, move a few feet forward, and then disengage 4x4. Now your hubs are locked in, and you can shift on the fly at any speed up to 30 mph :)