Noisy VG30 Lifters

krmiller07

Does anyone out there have any experience or advise on curing the noisy lifter syndrome on early model VG-30 V-6's? It seems to be worst when the engine is at operating temp. I have tried different weight oils etc. This engine has approx. 40,000 miles on it, and it's just as noisy as the one it replaced with 175,000 miles on it !

Thanks,

krmiller07

Are you sure it's the lifters, or are you pinging? Check to ensure your timing isn't too far advanced.

If that doesn't help, try a slightly heavier weight oil, and/or some Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Chances are that throwing different oil at it won't cure it.

Like my old 88 that just wouldn't shut up (lifter noise that would come and go regularly)

This is what I found

Rockershaft.jpg

That's the shaft that the rockers sit on. The only real fix is replacing the rockers and shafts :aok:

Here is some links to some rockers (can't seem to find shafts though), you may find cheaper :beer:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?...ame:Rocker+Arm)

I found the best solution to be a Flowmaster 50 series and a good stereo.

I ported my heads, added reground cams, new lifters and springs and mine still chatter like schoolgirls. I soaked the new lifters in oil before installation, too. I even went so far as to resurface my old lifters, soak them in heated oil for a few hours to ensure no air was in them either and swap them out. Still has chatter. Not crazy bad, but a bit much considering the effort I've been through.

BTW, my rocker shafts didn't look buggered like in TNZ's pic.

Edited by jj big shoe