Auto Trans

kh1991

I did some searching and found some posts of what my problem/symptom might be.. I was driving one day and all of a sudden it was a small bang/thud like it popped out of gear... had to coast to the shoulder. None of the gears work, doesn't matter what the transfer case is in... motor jus revs. It was all of a sudden and it wasn't the dreaded reverse signs of going out that your transmission is going to die thing...

So i've read that it could be either be input shaft or the torque converter. Anyone care to chime in that has had this type of thing happen to them.

Also has anyone changed an input shaft on an auto? Difficult? I've done motor swaps, mustang t5 tranny rebuilds, etc... so i am mechanically inclined..

mahalos.

Keith

I did some searching and found some posts of what my problem/symptom might be.. I was driving one day and all of a sudden it was a small bang/thud like it popped out of gear... had to coast to the shoulder. None of the gears work, doesn't matter what the transfer case is in... motor jus revs. It was all of a sudden and it wasn't the dreaded reverse signs of going out that your transmission is going to die thing...

So i've read that it could be either be input shaft or the torque converter. Anyone care to chime in that has had this type of thing happen to them.

Also has anyone changed an input shaft on an auto? Difficult? I've done motor swaps, mustang t5 tranny rebuilds, etc... so i am mechanically inclined..

mahalos.

Keith

interesting the exact same thing happened to my pathy as well...

I think it could be the torque converter, didnt think of the input shaft ill have to check that out as well.

My truck still had park other than that all the other gears were gone.

Adam just asked me about my trans issue because he thought it was the same as yours 4X4pathy94. Sounds like it to me.

Read my members ride thread to see more info.

Here is a pic of what broke inside the torque converter, but you should be able to see the stripped spline without opening it up.

DSC01775.jpg

Good luck guys :beer:

Yup all I have is Park.. no other gears work..

maybe this weekend i'll have time to drop the trans and see if it's the torque converter or the input shaft..

thanks for the replies..

Yeah, it almost seems that 'a loud bang and no gears' is a better failure mode than the 'lost reverse, etc'. Seems to be a more straight forward fix. Not like either are good though... :shrug:

B