SHTF or Bug out vehicle set up and plan.

Drunkencat

Ok, so like the majority of people in this forum I own a pathfinder. I’ am not some extreme survivalist but, I have learned from disasters like Katrina and other national disasters that you need a plan, rig and have gear ready just in case to keep you, your family and friends safe. I've designated my pathfinder as my SHTF or bug out vehicle. I have a bone stock pathfinder that I plan on upgrading, and several defense options. What are some of your set ups?

Ok, so like the majority of people in this forum I own a pathfinder. I’ am not some extreme survivalist but, I have learned from disasters like Katrina and other national disasters that you need a plan, rig and have gear ready just in case to keep you, your family and friends safe. I've designated my pathfinder as my SHTF or bug out vehicle. I have a bone stock pathfinder that I plan on upgrading, and several defense options. What are some of your set ups?

Check the "What do you always carry with you" thread.

Ok, this is similar... http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

I have the same principle, it's good to have options when the sheit hits the fan and that is natural or man made disasters these days (zombies possible). To me that isn't having the biggest, baddest rig, it is having the most sensible. Besides, you may have to ditch your rig right off the bat or in a few days... :shrug:

These are my basics:

WD21 in good tune with basic spares (alt, fan clutch, starter, hoses, belts, fuses, fluids,etc)

Suspension lift

Good, larger AT/MT tires with full sized spare or two (air pump/plug kit, etc)

Strong front bumper (the best rig won't get far if a fender bender can make it undriveable), rear bumper optional

Winch, a powerful/versatile tool that usually fits well in a strong front bumper

Tow hitch (will help protect in the case of a stock bumper and provide a good attachment point)

Extra lights to see where not to go/what not to hit with the strong bumper (see Colbywan's truck for Zombie attacks)

Good battery to provide power for everything (deep cycle prefered, dual battery set up ideal))

Minimum 800w Power inverter so you can run 120v tools/appliances

Communication (CB is probably sufficient)

High lift jack, shovel, axe, etc.

Extra fuel capacity (even if it is 'just' 5 gallons)

Water (1 gal/day per person) so 5 is a good basic start

I tried to stick to the vehicle appointments rather than which gun or what food to take, as I see that as personal gear and covered in the linked thread...

B

Ok, this is similar... http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

I have the same principle, it's good to have options when the sheit hits the fan and that is natural or man made disasters these days (zombies possible).

Had memories of the ZAV thread thanks to you now...