Wierd things after timing belt job

adamzan

Since my dads surgery he hasn't be able to do much so I took his truck into the shop for a timing belt change. The harmonic balancer was seized so I couldn't do the job and broke an easy out in one of the 2 little bolt holes. Anyways they changed the crankshaft seal, cam seals, water pump, timing belt, drive belts, and whatever else. They told me when I picked it up that the cats are clogged. I can also hear a minor exhaust leak now :disapprove: (weird)

I also had them put a new balancer on (I supplied it)

I drove it home and it drives fine (it seems) with a bit of a stumble at the beginning. There is a noise now coming from the engine bay, kinda a whirring noise. It didn't do that before. Also the CEL is on (evap code) but it was blinking when I was driving home. Knowing from our Isuzu that it meant misfire, I checked all the plug wire connections, but I haven't gotten it to do it again.

Should I take it back? I want to drive it to an npora members place to check the timing, but the sticker apparently expired sept 3rd. I really hope they didn't fark this truck up. Cost 630 dollars to have it all fixed.

Bring it over Adam and we can stick a light on it to see if the timing is ok...but yup, I would take it back...the Cats wouldn't clog while they were replacing the belt! I think that is a cop out on their part!

Bring it over Adam and we can stick a light on it to see if the timing is ok...but yup, I would take it back...the Cats wouldn't clog while they were replacing the belt! I think that is a cop out on their part!

x2. Unless they fed the old belt into the exhaust for fun. :P

Or maybe they just "noticed" the cats were cloged...shops are funny. used to work in one for a year. Can't begin to tell you the dirty things these people do. glad I can do all my own work.

Jose

Or maybe they just "noticed" the cats were cloged...shops are funny. used to work in one for a year. Can't begin to tell you the dirty things these people do. glad I can do all my own work.

Jose

X2 on that. To clean a dirty or clogged cat, get some white gas, or mineral spirits, and let it sit inside and swish it around. Worked wonders on my civic's cat till I put a high flow on. Other than that, Watch out man, shops can do some funky stuff. Check your evap canister and see if it is now clogged. I bet they forgot to hook something up, or put your distributor back in a tooth off or something. Either way, check those out, and also make sure they got the TPS nice and tight and plugged in, I did that on mine! Try those things, hope it works out for ya!

How many degrees is each cam tooth worth? I did a timing belt in my Honda and was off 2 teeth...this is 9 degrees and I had to fry the clutch to move. After adjusting forward the 9 degrees and 4 more for fun she is a screamer...I would guess that the belt is off a few teeth on both cams.

How many degrees is each cam tooth worth? I did a timing belt in my Honda and was off 2 teeth...this is 9 degrees and I had to fry the clutch to move. After adjusting forward the 9 degrees and 4 more for fun she is a screamer...I would guess that the belt is off a few teeth on both cams.

Unless they spun the crank 180 while doing the seals...I did that on my old Eclipse when doing the timing belt..don't remember HOW, but we got 180 off, had #1 on top dead center, but, it was on the wrong stroke...Somehow it ran, but had absolutely NO power...spun the cam around, slapped it back together, ran like a champ.

Ok so I took it back today with a note of the things that I didn't like. First of all they told me that they double checked the timing and made sure it was at TDC when they changed the belt and all that crap. Then he told me they scanned the codes and it came up for misfire. They said that my plugs and wires looked old (they are) and to try changing them and if it still is acting up to bring it back.

As for the catalytic converters they told me that they measured the temps at the front of the cat and it apparently was 100 degrees hotter than the back. They said if I chose not to replace that cats they would fix the gasket leak, which apparently is exacerbated by the misfire.

For the noise under the hood they said that the belts were set to the proper tension and that I should drive it for a bit (few hundred kilometers) and if it is still making noise to bring it back...

I guess I know what I'm doing after class today.

Alrighty so today I changed the plugs and wires. Magregor checked the timing with a timing light and it lined up with the first mark on the crank pulley, and cleaned up the cap and rotor contact. After letting it run for a few minutes you could hear it start to run funny (like a thud thud thud out of the exhaust) and the timing went off a bit so we adjusted the distributor and got it so it runs decent. I still get the blinking SES but only at idle... It has a bit more power now but I don't know what to do. I guess I'll have to get the cats replaced I guess.

Can you remove the 2nd set of cats on an r50? I noticed there are 4.