Bench seat conversion

joshellis

Hi

I think it would be quite cool to rip out the old seats/console in my rig and install a bench seat. I'm comfortable with relocating the e-brake, probably to the dash area ala D21 HB. But my questions are; has anyone done this? And if so, whats the best size? Ranger Danger? Tacoma?

Did it the other way around in a HB. Get a bench from a Hardbody(if you have a 5-speed, get a seat from a 5-speed 4x4 HB, has a notch for the shifters) and you don't have to drill, the tracks will line up with the outer seat tracks for the buckets (if you want the center belt make sure to take that from seat doner as well). As for the e-brake relocation, once again rob the Hardbody for the front cable and handle mechanism.

I haven't done it, thought about it but realized it would be a PITA to get people or cargo in and out of the back seat in the 2 door

Nunya pretty much has the plan that I would take and I'm pretty sure most of these mounting holes cross over between the HB and Pathy b/c they don't typically engineer things to be different but similar across the same chassis (which is why i have the 95 dash in my 87) as well as the front clip between the HB's and Pathys (4wd versions anyways)

Edited by unccpathfinder

I am absolutely positive that the bench will fit. I have swapped bench for buckets and buckets for bench on a D21. The seats and mounting positions are exactly the same from D21 to WD21. The only problem I had was with headers. I put headers on a D21 (4 cyl KA24E) with the dash mounted e-brake and the heat from the headers melted the inner cable liner and locked up the cable. The floor mounted e-brake cable dumps far away from the exhaust so it's not an issue. I have since replaced the cable and used insulated heat shielding to protect the cable. It's been working for just under a year now with no problems. The previous cable melted within a week.

Make sure to post pics.

It seems like the dash mounted brake would make the most sense. If you retain the floor mounted brake, the cable would have to be extended and the lever would need a new position. With the transfer lever and shift lever in their normal places, the brake lever would have to be moved drastically.

Edited by KovemaN

I would like to put it on the left of the brake pedal, old pedal style E-brake. Now that I like, so you don't see it and it remains functional. Either that or electronic, that would be B*tchin!

Yeah I agree a pedal ebrake would be functional, my only concern would be that every time I used it, for a split second it would remind me of being in a junky Cadillac or something. And electronic would no doubt be sweet, but I'd worry about destroying it offroad (water ingress etc)

Thanks for the tips guys. Good to know a HB seat will fit. Is it plenty comfy? I've never driven an HB.

Speaking of junky, my friend's 2007 Cadillac CTS, with under 30000miles, just lunched its own tranny. Then again, a 2007 is old by domestic manufacturer standards, right??!

Yeah I agree a pedal ebrake would be functional, my only concern would be that every time I used it, for a split second it would remind me of being in a junky Cadillac or something. And electronic would no doubt be sweet, but I'd worry about destroying it offroad (water ingress etc)

Thanks for the tips guys. Good to know a HB seat will fit. Is it plenty comfy? I've never driven an HB.

Speaking of junky, my friend's 2007 Cadillac CTS, with under 30000miles, just lunched its own tranny. Then again, a 2007 is old by domestic manufacturer standards, right??!

Honestly the broken in HB bench I swapped out for buckets was awsome. Only reason I switched it to buckets was using a throw pillow as an armrest got old eventually and the cupholder issue us wd21 owners are plauged with carrys over to d21s as well(used a s-10 Blazer one in there). Came in handy they were free as well and I was in the process of switchinmg the red interior to grey slowly. Junked the truck before I ever finished that project...

Cool thanks Nunya. Yeah the cupholder issue is a PITA. My main motivation for the bench seat is so that is easier for my g/f to give me.... umm ....ah... for the sake of being suspended and losing access to this wonderful resource, I wont finish that sentence!! :blush:

All I'm gonna say is HB's are kind of short from door to door and a T-handle shifter hurts the side. Make sure you have it in 1st, 3rd, or 5th for 5 speed owners out there... *got my 91 while still in high school, I miss that truck*

Just avoid the "well, um" while driving, especially if she is prone to lock jaw.....

LMAO...or get a new gf...and that's a lot of work for the payoff...and I've honestly never had a gf complain about the console being in the way :shrug:

Edited by unccpathfinder