Crate motor swap chatter

jason

Took me about six days (lots of BIG mistakes and trips to the parts store), but the new motor is in. There is a strange intermittent chatter coming from what sounds like the front of the oil pan. It's definitely internal, and way to loud to be an exhaust leak. Sounds like metal on metal. After about six or seven seconds of running properly (aside from the noise), the engine idle drops down to about 200 RPM's, barely able to keep itself going. Also, it smells similar to what we experienced when we ruined the clutch when we forgot to tighten down the pressure plate. Ouch. Any ideas?

No, all we had to swap were the fan, alternator, engine to transmission brackets, throttle cable housing, and remove some extra stuff. There was a spacer pressed into the back where the transmission shaft goes in that gave us some trouble, too. Nothing internal, though.

No, all we had to swap were the fan, alternator, engine to transmission brackets, throttle cable housing, and remove some extra stuff. There was a spacer pressed into the back where the transmission shaft goes in that gave us some trouble, too. Nothing internal, though.

The pilot bushing?? They are different for manual and automatic trannys...

B

Yeah it was the pilot bearing. We overlooked it the first time, then took everything back apart and removed it, and replaced it with the MT pilot bearing. That quieted the noise from within the bell housing. Put the new clutch kit in while we were at it.

• 3 weeks later...

So after a lot of headache we finally figured it out. I had several mechanic friends come over to listen, each one offering a different opinion. In the end, someone recommended letting it run for a few minutes. This thought never occurred to me because I was too scared that more damaged might be caused. I guess it just wasn't getting oil yet. All of the noises and problems vanished...