Tranny problem...no 3rd or OD

nismothunder

Well...I probly jinxed my self a month or so back by saying that if you live in a cold area then you dont really want a after market tranny cooler because of the lack of warming power from the factorty cooler gave.

But heres what happen.Yester day I went around to do a few things before going for wheeling.I noticed the tranny starting to shift funny and slip in 3rd and over drive.Slipping in low RPM's and then banging in to gear about 3-4k.I was like huh...must be low on fluid or some thing.So I go to my trails(not far only about 4 miles away) and get out and put about have a bottle of lucas tranny fluid in it and then the let engine cool down.I wasnt worried because the truck had never givin me any problems for all the stuff that I've done in it.So I get in and start on the trails,I see that people are hunting down there so I leave because I dont want to bother them.I get back out on the back roads and decide to check how high the river is.La-dee-daa I'm driving and all of a sudden I lose 3rd and over drive.1st and second are still there but I cant just put it in second.I have to wind it up in first and shift on the fly to second.So I have a top speed of 60 mph or so.Well I go home and drain the fluid since I have a new filter and I figure its not going to hurt the tranny any by putting it in.Well I drain the fluid and it comes out real dark,like motor oil and it smells burnt.But A ton of it came out,Probly a forth to a third of a 5 gallon buckets worth.I havent finshed the filter swap because my exhasut pipe is bent back blocking the casing so I need to cut it off.(no chance of just unbolting it the bolts are rusted and baked on)So if the new fluid and filter dont fix it this maybe the death note of my pathy.Which I'm not in the least happy about since I just finished fixing the frame friday and got my new tabs.

Edited by nismothunder

Ok I have the pan off(I thought hey the pipes already broke at the weld so I can use a come-a-long to pull it back to its normel spot,Not stock pipe)

I clean it up and found a gasket under my gasket...that somebody used sulac on...half hour of scraping and sanding with sand paper and its off.So I clean it out with degreaser and every thing.Also there was a little bit of metal on the magnit (not as much as I thought there would be)So maybe it just had to much fluid in it or something(fingures crossed)

Edited by nismothunder

Well...Got every thing togeather...put 5 quirts in and let it idle for a few minutes be fore driving around my folks yard.Seemed like it was fine.Checked the fluid and looked like it was the right leval,Took it fore a ride and it seemed to shift better then ever between 1 and 2.But then hear comes 3rd...

Poor old girl tryed to shift into it a little but then nothing...same as before...no gear there at all.I may put another bottle of atf in it tomarro to see what happens...but it doesnt look good.

First, try to trouble shoot the tranny according to the outline in the downloadable factory service manual rather than adding ATF and hoping.

Second, if it is toast, try to source another AT or find the parts to switch to manual. $4k is a lot to walk away from... :shrug:

B

I dont want to sound like a mooch or any thing but could somebody walk me through it instead of me spending 15 bucks down loading it?

Also if somebody knows where I could get it for free(since all I could find is one you have to pay for) that would be great.

Naw,I know I should of though...it was that I was freaked about the tranny losing 2 gears and I never really beat on it.I mean I was hard on it in the terms of spining the tires on cement and when I'd get stuck I'd put the petal to the floor until the old girl dug its way out, I was never that stuck though to the point of being up to the rockers in mud.Saying I knew the diffrence of just losing traction and being buryed.But I wasnt out there doing neutral drops or any thing.It was a good truck to me.I havent had it a full two years but I put 30,000 mile on it while I was in school,which is one of the reasons I was hard on it.