Speedometer and Header question

Toby

I described in my intro thread about problems with the speedometer on the truck I'm buying. No CEL is on. when the truck was drove last (about 2 days before I looked at it) the speedometer worked. I checked all the screws and wires in the back of the gauge cluster and everything looks fine. checked to make sure the screws weren't loose.

So now I'm not sure if it's the gauge itself that's bad. Or what the situation is. I don't think it's the Speed Sensor but then again I'm not 100%. I figure if it was it'd throw a CEL up. But i'd like to make sure.

Header question:

Since my exhaust is cracked behind the manifold, i was considering just buying aftermarket headers. I was curious on what everyone thinks about what's available. I found Pacesetter for a decent price and on the 4x4performance site it had Thorley headers. Although they were around $500.

thanks for any help you guys can give.

I just got these last week for $406 delivered, Nickel Chrome Thorleys. Rocky Road Outfitters had them drop shipped to me and Thorley had some in stock; often there is a wait until they run another batch so if you order, have them check for availability. I haven't seen the Pace Setters, but the Thorleys are considered better made if not better designed. I figured for the extra $100 or whatever, I'd go with the Thorleys...

Thorley002.jpg

If tightening the screws didn't help odds are the unit is bad (if both were bad, it might have been the voltage regulator). I recommend grabbing one off of the next pathfinder that comes onto the lot. Oh, you need it from a 94 or 95...

B

that thorley kit come with the Cat? It looks really nice.

pacesetters are ridiculously iffy. Some are decent. Others are junk. My Cavalier had a pacesetter header and it ran wonderful. My S10 had one and it cracked within 2 weeks and warped. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm running a stock exhaust manifold on my s10 now lol. Pacesetter is the only company dumb enough to make an exhaust for a 2.2 S10.

the speedometer I guess I'll go on a search for tomorrow. Nice thing about the pathfinder it seems is everything is held in place with a phillips head screw lol. My s10 I need 2 or 3 sockets to get the cluster out. Although I like how the S10's got a big piece that just clips off. I had the cluster out of the Nissan in no time though. I'll replace the cluster tomorrow if I can find one.

Any suggestions on where I can get the Odometer set to the correct mileage? Cause if it's different when I get it inspected I'll be in some trouble lol.

Sorry, the cat did not come with the headers. It is a California legal Magnaflow performance cat, I picked it up for $135 and free shipping from http://www.performancepeddler.com. They had the best price I could find (you have to request a quote) and I got exactly what I wanted.

I can take better pictures of the Thorleys if you want...

pacesetters are ridiculously iffy. Some are decent. Others are junk. My Cavalier had a pacesetter header and it ran wonderful. My S10 had one and it cracked within 2 weeks and warped.

This is what I heard and didn't want to deal with it. I only want to install the headers once... ;)

I only replaced the tach in my new pathy, the old one has had a dead speedo for 3 years, but the odo kept working. Can you disassemble the speedo to remove the odo portion? I never looked at that.

I'm sure someone who knows will chime in soon...

B

Yeah pacesetter headers are really tempermental. But my cavalier and S10 2.2's are virtually the same motor lol. GM didn't do much to change it's OHV I4 in 15 years or whatever it was.

But the Thorleys I think will be what I buy. It'll just save me time and then I won't pay to fix an exhaust I'd end up replacing.

Dunno if you can swap the odometer portion. I used to know a guy who could adjust Digital odometers in the S10's. Had to be legalized to do it or something since messing with your odometer is a pretty big offense.

another question. Is there some sort of interior lock to the tailgate? The glass opens fine. But I can't get the liftgate as a whole to open. I'm hoping the cables didn't snap. But I'm not 100%. It worked fine last i looked at it but today I went to open it and it wouldn't open.

I believe the latch is actuated by mechanical lever IIRC, but I have never had to mess with mine. I know you can remove the interior trim and get to the linkage that way to open it and figure out what failed. Are you saying that the handle lifts up but nothing happens (no release)? Good time to try out the search function, I know there have been several threads about it... :D

Yeah, I know that messing with the odometer is a major deal if caught, but I'm talking about removing the odometer portion from a broken speedo and putting it in a 'new' one so the truck shows the correct mileage, that can't be illegal!! But, I don't know if it is easily possible... :shrug:

B

I believe the latch is actuated by mechanical lever IIRC, but I have never had to mess with mine. I know you can remove the interior trim and get to the linkage that way to open it and figure out what failed. Are you saying that the handle lifts up but nothing happens (no release)? Good time to try out the search function, I know there have been several threads about it... :D

Yeah, I know that messing with the odometer is a major deal if caught, but I'm talking about removing the odometer portion from a broken speedo and putting it in a 'new' one so the truck shows the correct mileage, that can't be illegal!! But, I don't know if it is easily possible... :shrug:

B

yeah I know about the search lol. I was gonna use it I figure i'd post in here. And I'm back and forth between this and a pretty intense AIM convo. I'll search it tomorrow morning.

i dunno if there's an easy way to get the odometer itself out. I think it'd be a huge pain and I'd end up breaking something.

This thread is really helping me out right now... lol

I would like to say that my truck does not have a catalytic converter in the downpipe, there is one only at the end. Is there anywhere else I can get those Doug Thorley headers? Do they all have that stupid cat in the downpipe? :scratchhead:

This thread is really helping me out right now... lol

I would like to say that my truck does not have a catalytic converter in the downpipe, there is one only at the end. Is there anywhere else I can get those Doug Thorley headers? Do they all have that stupid cat in the downpipe? :scratchhead:

He got the cat separately.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=4146

there is a set on that website. Ceramic coated though. I dunno much else about it. The one pictured obviously isn't a V6. I checked rocky road outfitters and they didn't have much for pathfinders. They had some rock sliders and I think some suspension stuff. I dunno if I'd have to call and see if they had them or not.

Main page, click on Thorley... They have them, trust me... ;)

As for the stupid cat after the y pipe, yes they all came with them and should still have them. They are there for a reason and if you get a high performance one like mine, it won't affect power. Sheesh!!

B

I'm too cheap to buy a second catalytic converter... lol

Instead of the cat, I just have a straight pipe in that section.

I went to Doug Thorleys website and found that they have ceramic coated headers available and according to the manual, when they are fully assembled they do not have the catalytic converter in the downpipe (it is optional).

assembled.gif

Part number is THY-464-2

http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/products...1/productID/907

According to the notes:

Notes

* 22 - For Legality under CARB regulations the connector/Y-pipe assembly must be used on vehicles originally equipped with catalytic converter.

* 19- Does not fit 5-speed models w/ hydraulic clutch

Is this for auto?

AutoAnything has them too

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-muffl...87A2302878.aspx

I guess this is where Precise1 is referring me to: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...&hl=thorley

Edited by Tungsten

Not to sound dumb but did you manually with the key make sure the hatch was unlocked for that issue? (and will you quit putting that pic of your Thorleys everywhere B! your just goeing to cost me more money!)

Not to sound dumb but did you manually with the key make sure the hatch was unlocked for that issue? (and will you quit putting that pic of your Thorleys everywhere B! your just goeing to cost me more money!)

I did try with the key. I'll try again today. If it doesn't work I'll take the interior panel off and check the linkages and all.

Wasn't being rude, just a suggestion. I've done it is why I asked, realizing the hatch was locked after wonderign why I can't get it open...long days can do that.

I'm sorry. I didn't say it like to be a jerk lol. I hate how you can't express tone over the internet sometimes. I'm just saying I'll try it again.

also went to the thorley site. They had a set of chrome for $569 or so. Also I think I have a hydraulic clutch. The set they have now wouldn't work with mine.

Toby, why buy from Thorley for $569 when you can get them for $359 from Rocky Road Outfitters??

The debate of what fits on what has been beaten to death. The end of it is that the THY-464-2 headers (the only ones available for 90-95) have been installed on both manual and AT. Some say easy, some say need modification but not dependent on transmission. Check out Slick's signature...

King CaCa: '91 SE Auto. LSD. 4"TM SL, 3"BL, 33x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT's. HooHaa CL. Trans cooler. Thorley headers magnaflow muffler.

Mini Me: my baby,'92 XE 5 Spd. LSD. JGC lift, Rancho 5000's, Flowmaster 50 series, Thorley's. Smittybuilt bumper on 31's.

These are her two pathfinders and note Thorleys installed on both?? Ask her for info if that is not enough... :shrug:

Not directed at you specifically, but damn, people don't listen lately!!

B

Toby, why buy from Thorley for $569 when you can get them for $359 from Rocky Road Outfitters??

The debate of what fits on what has been beaten to death. The end of it is that the THY-464-2 headers (the only ones available for 90-95) have been installed on both manual and AT. Some say easy, some say need modification but not dependent on transmission. Check out Slick's signature...

These are her two pathfinders and note Thorleys installed on both?? Ask her for info if that is not enough... :shrug:

Not directed at you specifically, but damn, people don't listen lately!!

B

I didn't see anything on Rocky Road Outfitters about THorleys though.

Just a little update:

replaced the speedometer today and got nothing. So I'm going to just give in and go pro on this and call up Nissan tomorrow to get their verdict. Computer isn't telling me via the lights. So i can't be 100%.

also found the Thorleys on Rocky Road Outfitters.

and my tail/liftgate is fixed now. I got it opened and it just needed a little grease in that lock

For the speedo it's most likely the voltage regulator on the back of the gauge cluster. The only other places it could go bad would be at the sender (transfer case) or in the wiring between the sender and the cluster. Do your fuel and temp gauges work correctly?

P.S. - I like my Pacesetters (third set for my Nissans).

Edited by KovemaN

For the speedo it's most likely the voltage regulator on the back of the gauge cluster. The only other places it could go bad would be at the sender (transfer case) or in the wiring between the sender and the cluster. Do your fuel and temp gauges work correctly?

P.S. - I like my Pacesetters (third set for my Nissans).

Everything works fine except for the speedo. It just sits on 0 eternally. I tried a whole new cluster in with one I knew to be good. I'm going to call Nissan to see what they say tomorrow. Maybe price out the sensor

Edited by Toby

Priced out the Speed Sensor. $178 through Nissan. Also got a new key cut for $4.

So the speed sensor is iffy. I guess I'll take it out and see if the gear on it is still good. and if the gear is still good I'll have to find a way to get current through it and test it.