Auto shift oddity

beastpath

The transmission shifts fine until I drive at a steady pace. Then the rpms stagnate at about 2700, but every so often jump up to 3000 for a second then drop down to 2700. Have tried it at different speeds.

Also I just "upgraded" to the taurus fan, but haven't done the alternator yet (trying to get my cooling issue fixed first). The voltage has been around 13 with A/C, lights etc on. Driving at any pace would jump it back to 14.

Tonight i noticed the voltage was about 12. Turned the A/C off, picked up my speed a bit and the needle just went up a tiny bit.

I'm thinking the lack of electrical charge is messing with my transmission shifting.

Does that sound plausible?

P.S. I have a tranny cooler installed and the fluid is nice and red with under 10000 miles on it.

yeah, its gotta be the alternator. Driving to work today not using the A/C the volts were about 13.9. No shifting problems or torque converter lock up.

If i came to a stop though the volts would run down to 12 really quickley. Also, when getting gas I turned on the A/C and the truck stalled. Voltage read under 12.

Now, to get a mean green or a quest.....

If it's under 12V then your alternator is shot. It should never read below 12.6V if I remember correctly. It's true that the voltage drops a little when you're idling, but below 12V is cause for concern.

yeah, its gotta be the alternator. Driving to work today not using the A/C the volts were about 13.9. No shifting problems or torque converter lock up.

If i came to a stop though the volts would run down to 12 really quickley. Also, when getting gas I turned on the A/C and the truck stalled. Voltage read under 12.

Now, to get a mean green or a quest.....

Thats what happened when my alty died. It would only charge above 2500 rpms :blink:

well, i just splurged on a Mean Green alty. lol. Was undecided, but my folks said they would help me out as they think its a better idea to get a new one.

So that should solve ANY and ALL electrical defficiencies i have, lol.

See, I don't get it - I have the original factory alt in my truck (1990 SE V6) and it's running great. Even at idle, I hold between 13 and 14 volts (prolly 13.5). The needle never really seems to move from there, unless I turn EVERYTHING on all at the same time (A/C, High Beams, Stereo, and stomp the brakes)

See, I don't get it - I have the original factory alt in my truck (1990 SE V6) and it's running great. Even at idle, I hold between 13 and 14 volts (prolly 13.5). The needle never really seems to move from there, unless I turn EVERYTHING on all at the same time (A/C, High Beams, Stereo, and stomp the brakes)

You better knock on wood. The last time I said that to my friend my alternator died a week later (it had been screaming like a starving crack baby for months though).

*nods* I'm actually rather concerned to be honest - my truck is still pretty much all original parts...

Original MAF

Original TPS

Original ECU

Original Cap/Rotor/Plug Wires (until about 2 months ago, when I did a full spectrum tune up)

Original AutoLock Hubs

Original Steering Components (though they are a little loose)

Original Springs/Torsion Bars

I mean... other than standard consumables (spark plugs, brake pads, etc) and my right front CV+UCA (old one fell off and bent... stripped UCA bolts), and of course tires... it's all stock and standard.

I know one of these days they'll all go at once... I mean, 19 years is a LONG time, isn't it? And she's my daily driver... with over 75k miles in the 3 years I've owned her... I try to take care of her but I only know so much being as young as I am... I dunno. I count myself lucky to have such a stubborn and sturdy truck... cause right now I don't know what I could do if something happened to her... she's taken, so far, being rear ended 3 times in the last 2 months AND sideswiped once on the highway at 60 MPH, all without any damage to even the paint... granted, the three vehicles that rear ended me weren't so lucky (and they've all been no fault of mine, mind you)...

I just worry about my old gal... she's done me right and there's so much I want to do to give her back the old spark she deserves... not the least of which includes some major rust repairs, thankfully none of it on the frame.

• 2 weeks later...
The last time I said I'm surprised my transmission is working this good and hasn't acted up, the next day it started messin with me.

That's why I change the fluid...

Anyway I'm still on the original alty and its working great. The only way yours can fail is if you overdraw it or if its not an original alternator.