I need a new cooling fan clutch

XPLORx4

So, my truck has started to run pretty hot at idle with the AC on. After 160,000 miles and 12 years, the fan clutch is starting to go bad.

Anyone know of the best and/or cheapest place to pick up a new one? Are there high-performance fan clutches available? Does anyone have an aftermarket fan (such as a flex fan) installed?

I've tried rockauto and courtesy parts, but I'm not sure what anyone else has tried.

Thanks!

Seriously? The god of R50's is asking us peasants a question? My only experience with an aftermarket clutch was on my W163 Mercedes ML, and it was a garbage unit purchases from Pep Boys, I ended up buying OEM online.

Seriously? The god of R50's is asking us peasants a question? My only experience with an aftermarket clutch was on my W163 Mercedes ML, and it was a garbage unit purchases from Pep Boys, I ended up buying OEM online.

LOL. peasants. Hahaha. Such flattery! ;)

The OEM part is pretty expensive! I had no idea the fan clutch exceeded $100. There have to be better alternatives.

Edited by XPLORx4

ive been using an autozone "TORQFLO" fan clutch, as recommended to me by "BURGPATH" several years ago

i believe it ran me about $60 or $70

it blows harder than stock, for sure, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

It did eventually fail after 3 years of hard use, (much shorter life than stock - possibly because it engages much harder than stock) but autozone gave me a brand new one for no additional cost (aren't lifetime warrantys great??) so i cant complain much about that.

it blows so hard, my qx4 sounds like it has a turbo whenever my ac is on, or, if its over 85* outside. Last time i went camping, i pulled up to the camping site and one of my friends, who works on cars, says to me "whoa why is your engine fan blowing so hard???"

i recommend it for performance but not so much for longetivity

Edited by FUELER

by the way - i remember a few years ago i made a similar thread asking about how to change a VG33 fan clutch, and i mentioned that i got a bunch of dirt in my eyes from doing this job, and you (xplorx4) told a story of how you always wear goggles because once you got a metal shaving in yoru eye and it caused a "corneal rust ring" and an eye doc had to basically take a dremel to your eyeball!!

I never forgot this story and i am always very careful with my eyes now, whenever im under the old R50

and i can change a fan clutch with my eyes closed now!! (no pun intended)

you (xplorx4) told a story of how you always wear goggles because once you got a metal shaving in yoru eye and it caused a "corneal rust ring" and an eye doc had to basically take a dremel to your eyeball!!

I never forgot this story and i am always very careful with my eyes now, whenever im under the old R50

Yeah.... an eye-ball dremel tool... that sucked. Big time. Good thing the "corneal rust ring" and subsequent "dremeling" was not in front of my pupil, or my eyesight would have been permanently affected.

I bet I've got my old one laying around if you want another OEM part. $20 + shipping and it's yours! (If I can find it) :tongue:

Hey Tyler, if you have the whole stock fan, and the lower fan shroud, too, and they're in reasonably good shape, I might be interested in those as well. How many miles were on the parts when you took them off?

Let me know if you can find the stuff. I need everything installed the August 6th, so I pretty much have to order the part this week, so I can work on it over the weekend.

Dean I will go look on my lunch break. I'm 99% sure I don't have any of the factory fan shroud. I broke the lower portion a few years ago and probably got rid of it. I take it yours must be broken too if you're looking for a new one!

For some reason I am thinking I still have the fan and clutch assembly. I'll run over on my lunch break and check for you in a few minutes. Send me your address just in case I find it and I'll send it out today so you can have it by Friday.

Tyler

Dean I will go look on my lunch break. I'm 99% sure I don't have any of the factory fan shroud. I broke the lower portion a few years ago and probably got rid of it. I take it yours must be broken too if you're looking for a new one!

For some reason I am thinking I still have the fan and clutch assembly. I'll run over on my lunch break and check for you in a few minutes. Send me your address just in case I find it and I'll send it out today so you can have it by Friday.

Tyler

Tyler, there's no need to have rush shipping. How many miles were on the engine when it blew?

Dean...I just went through my parts stash and I'm afraid I probably got rid of the fans too. :blush: I even had 2 of them since the one on the VH was identical! Sorry for getting your hopes up!!! :(

I have my 3.0 clutch and it worked fine before I converted to electric. sounded like a supercharger in the summer and didn't know it was there in the winter. Thats how its supposed to be right? anyway it stil turns smoothly in my hand and if it will fit on your R50 pm me if you want it.

Edited by MY1PATH