New in the NW

DRZ

I just inherited a 94 Pathy XE in good condition. I has been a strong runner and needs some typical maintenance; new timing belt, breaks, flush and oil change. I will need to replace the shocks, and I'm trying to decide whether to lift it and how much. I've read some here and other places about suspension, however, I'm having a hard time making a plan. I will be doing some rare towing of a motorcycle trailer, but I mainly want access to trail-heads I can't currently get to with my small 2X Nissan truck. Will 2" get me good clearance for rutted roads? What economical set-up would get me down the trail?

Suggestions for a Utilitarian SUV.

Thanks,

-me

Hi mate I'm a newbie here too but I thought I share my experience w this same dilemma. If economy is what you are after, leave the suspension alone and fit a set of aggressive 31x10.5 mud terrains on 15" steel rims offset 10-15mm (tonnes of them around on 80s/90s solid axle Toyota 4x4s). I found this gave it a slightly wider track allowing me to ride the inside of most ruts. Install some tow hooks on the factory front mounting points, and a removable towpoint/hitch on the back (for your trailer), call a friend with another truck, and go for a play.

One of the great things about these trucks is that even in stock form, they are highly competent off road. You will be surprised at how agile the truck is, w a nice low center of gravity but still adequate clearance and lots of factory armor to overcome obstacles ur 4x2 couldnt even look at.

The next step of course is lifts. There is a lot of info on this forum about this, check out The Garage. I am planning a lift right now. Compared to a lot of other trucks, this can be achieved inexpensively by replacing the rear springs and jacking up the front suspension. Rear shocks will need to be replaced with longer ones, but standard front shocks are fine. By all accounts this works well, but in the medium term, upgrading front suspension components (control arms and torsion bars) will give the setup more durability. Also, SCPathy88 is taking orders for pre-cut coil springs for ridiculously cheap, PM him.

G'day mate, welcome aboard. Plenty of info to be had, there are alot of very knowledgable people around here. Use the search function, it can be a bit hit and miss, but the info is there.

Welcome DRZ!!

Sounds like Josh and Dave have pointed you in the right direction. Poke around and read up on things and you will have a good idea of what you want to do...

B

• 3 weeks later...

"utilitarian" - one of my favorite words! No lift and 31's will get you more places than many stockers will go. a JGC coil lift, torsion bar re-indexing, fender trimming and a 2" body lift will get you farther! A lockright is a bonus too plus it's reasonable on the street.

Welcome to NPORA (and feel free to help in our cause to get our founder's truck back to him)

ok... a shameless plug but not everyone finds that thread on their own.

Hey B.... I have a 4 door......

Oh, and im not trash either!!!! :)

Anyway, Welcome to the site. Another Washingtonian here. If your not going to do lots of trails, I say get some MT's and a locker for the rear. That will get you where you want to go. Bang for the buck people!