Alt or Battery?

headpeace

alright so the wire going from the alt to the battery is definintely not 10 gauge, more like 6 prob 4. So the other end goes into some wacky plastic connector that goes into another wacky connector eventually ending at the positive post. Can I surpass the wacky connectors and go straight to the positive post???

Any time I've ever had a problem with an alternator, I've taken them to a local auto-electric guy to be rebuilt. It might take a couple days, but it's cheaper than buying a re-manned unit, and they ALWAYS work forever. The one in my Pathy has been perfect for almost 5 years, and the one in my FJ40 still cranks out the power after 16 years!

alright, so I ran a new 6 gauge from the alt and spliced into the white wire where the red arrow points in above link. Now I it won't start, no power to the interior except the light for the clock in the dash but no clock display :scratchhead: , the headlights work but not the blinkers. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box, the one at the positive post, and the 2 I found under the fusible link cap - all good. Any ideas before I do some major cutting to see if the wire I spliced split off to somewhere else between the battery and alt?

Sounds like a problem with the connections at the battery. Sometimes mine would do that when I have a poor battery connection, like putting a power wire to the radio in between the battery clamp and the post.

well if anyone is wondering other than me, don't splice where I did, that won't work. If I could do it over I would splice in front of the radiator. Fortunately I was able to fix my mistake and all is good again.

• 1 month later...

I had a very similar problem.

My thread

It turned out to be the fusible link right at the battery, it has 2 wires in it a black and a green and one of them is necessary to start the engine.

I also ran a new cable straight from the alty to the battery, it has solved all of my problems.

Edited by daver123