Where's ignition wire in overhead console?

Guest flycaster

Guest flycaster

2000 SE PF. Want to install radar detector using hot wires in overhead console. Could someone help me identify (via color code) which wires become hot when ignition goes on. My overhead has the temperature and compass that are activated when the ignition is on. Also, although I haven't looked closely, could I have a pointer or two on how to identify the wires that do go to the compass/temperature? Lastly, is it OK to ground by simply hooking the ground wire from the RD to the metal brakets? Thanks,

Adam

Use a voltmeter or voltage tester to identify any wire with 12V coming to it. Hopefully the radar detector doesn't pull too much amperage in normal use to pop the fuse for the accessory you're drawing the power off of. Grounding it to any solid metal fixture should work fine.

Guest flycaster

Thanks. Good point about paying attention to how many amps will be drawn by the RD. I'll check the power usage of the RD and the amp rating of the fuse box.

Adam

I think it would be easiest to just splice a wire into you cigarette lighter hot wire. The only works when key is in accessory or on. And I don't think it would pop a fuse, but I could be wrong.

88 pretty much said all there is to be said on this topic.

Guest flycaster

I gave up the thought of hooking into the compass' wire as I didn't want to take a chance in screwing the compass up. Instead I opted to use a live wire that feeds the console lights. Although I gave up having the RD go on and off automatically, the hook up still works nicely. Thank for all your help.

Adam

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but Im trying to wire up a radar detector as well.

I was planning to tap into the moon roof wires since they are only drawing juice when the car is on. Does anybody know the color of the positive/negative wires by chance?

This is the same thing I did on my M3 and it has worked perfectly for a couple of years.

The Pathfinder is a 2001.

Thanks

For negative, you can just ground it on a screw or bolt. For positive, the best thing to do would be to use a voltmeter or continuity tester to check for power when the key is on. It's been too many years since I've done this mod to remember the color of the wires I used.

17005577.jpg