anyone familiar with this?

when traveling at...i'd say 40 mph or higher, hot air blows out from under my steering wheel onto my feet. is this normal? my AC and heat are OFF! but it still blows out anyway, and its annoying! anyone know what this is?

thanks

rob

im pretty sure it is the air vents, because when i have the air on hot or cold it comes out in the same spot. cold comes out cold, and hot comes out hot. but when the air if OFF, HOT air comes from the feet. i can deal with it, i was just wondering if it was normal or if there was anything i could do about it!

is your blower set to the feet setting? I get minimal airflow through the vents even when the blower is off, so I just leave it on windshield so it isn't blowing on me.

is your blower set to the feet setting? I get minimal airflow through the vents even when the blower is off, so I just leave it on windshield so it isn't blowing on me.

X2. I noticed if I keep the defrost/feet vent setting on, air moves freeley whether the fan is on or not. Turn it to defrost only and it seems to help. :D

X2. I noticed if I keep the defrost/feet vent setting on, air moves freeley whether the fan is on or not. Turn it to defrost only and it seems to help. :D

thanks! that seems to do the trick!

-rob

this has been discussed before. All auto climate control R50's do this. Mine does. Regardless of what your temp is set at, If you turn the climate control OFF, the hot/cold diverter switches completely to the hot position, and the directional flapper switches to FEET. (you can hear this stuff move for a few secs when you press OFF) and then you're feeling air from outside that has passed through the heater core ! Thats the way Nissan designed it. No idea why but i'm sure there's a valid reason.

Edited by FUELER

its actually comfortable in cold to cool weather. When it gets hot out, I at least run the fan which solves this problem.

Maybe it was cold in Japan when they designed this car ?

/\ /\ /\

They may have also figured out that aerodynamically that air was better off going inside than getting forced back out of the cabin air intake.

lol, maybe this is simply like you said earlier--the "rest" position for the climate control!

hmm my 300zx kinda dose that but from the main vents. I have vacum hose leak which causes my vents to not close completly and it blows hot air from the engine bay i think. Proably the same problem. I bet the foot vent is open.

What I was told about this from someone is that when your system is off, then the flappers and stuff are not held at the position when their on. So, air can easily open them when driving and hence you feel the air blowing in. Not sure how valid this statement is, but it seems to make sense to me.

Jose