Looking for up grades...

Well I have a 1995 nissan pathfinder xe with 4.6 gears,v-6,auto tranny,auto hubs,and some frame rust that is being dealt with since I got a new Welder.

So the pathys going to be around for a while yet...I had the t-belt,camseals,and water pump replaced a while ago(10k)

So this is what I have...

1-I get 19-21 mpg going 55-60

2-Is kick ass offroad.

3-Is a pathy

4-31 inch Road Runner tires

.What I'm looking for

1-better mpg...I see people getting 23mpg going 75 mph

2-better response...from engine

3-Less rust...working on it

So I've made a short list...

Manuel hubs.

2.5 after-cat exhaust

Highflow cat...maybe

Body lift...to fit 32inch tsl's or bfg's

Header?

Cold air intake(Already have K@N drop in filter)

Better speakers and CD Unit

Tint products

Plug wires?

Bigger tbi?

Any thing else that would give me better performance over stock That any one can think of?

Well, your CAI will give you better gas mileage, and id imagine refreshing everything like you said...plug wires, headers, performance exhaust....will give you better gas mileage, and should give you better responsiveness and performance...

But, the more electronics you have, hypothetically, the more your alternator will need to work, therefore more gas usage...hypothetically of course....

http://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/

poke your nose around there for a bit... you can find most of what you need there... all Nissan Pathfinder and Hard body pick up parts! :aok:

As for response and better fuel economy, go to your local Napa auto parts store, give them you year, make, model, and ask them for better than basic spark plugs and wires. I went with Autolite double platinum plugs. Little more expensive but at the time it would of been worth it! (with my engine quitting and all)

Also, keep up with oil changes, and change your transmission fluid and filter, should get some better response and a little bit better fuel mileage.

Change air filter

Get a can of "Carb and throttle body cleaner" at napa when you get your plugs and then spray the inside of your throttle body.

Also change your fuel filter! Its often overlooked but can release some mpg's.

Run a tank of 89 octane fuel from shell or BP gas stations. Dont do Exon or Texxaco. The whole thing with Shell/BP is the way they make their gas is a little better of a process reducing the harmful things in other gas stations gas. In 89 octane gas, their are some cleaning agents that actually are good for an engine that runs on 87 octane usually. Can clean out carbon and other nasty gunk!.

If your really into wanting to get good fuel mileage and such, I would personally recommend rebuilding your throttle body if you have the mechanical abilities. (Not sure of your experience so i had to put that out there)

Hope this helps!

(on a side note this is my 400th post! :jig:)

Edited by Nytrosfinder

If you're going to put a cold air intake on it, make sure it's in the form of a snorkel and not in the form of a hole cut in the fender :togo:

The free-er flowing exhaust might boost your MPG by 1-3 mpg depending on how clogged up everything is now. Headers seem to be the one ting that really bring these engines to life. There's either a Pacesetter header, or a Doug Thorley header, and with that you will most likely get a little better low-end response from the engine. However, the bigger tires may take this benefit away and make you break even.

Manual hubs won't improve any type of performance.

Install European spec cams, clean out all the carbon build up around the cylinder heads and valley, and make sure you're using a good quality engine oil. Also check all the fluids in the drive train and replace them with good quality stuff.

I change the oil every 25-3000 miles,the plugs are new AC-delcos and I put a new dizzy cap and roter on it about a month ago...the rear diff is changed every 10-15k since I usly play in water and mud or extremely silty sand.

Manuel hubs susposly help mpg...so that was where I was going with that.

Also I cleaned the tbi about a week ago

Also the TBi is not leaking fuel so I dont see a reeason to rebuild it and when I cleaned it it look brand new in side,no build up or any thing

Edited by nismothunder

Also BP gas is 15 cent more for 87 then any other gas station around but after I cleaned the TBI I filled up with there 93 since I had a gift card

Also I go back and forth between fram and K&N filters...when the ones dirty the frame gets shoved in so I can clean the K&N(takes a while to dry)

We dont have Texxacos in MN so I Dont get gas there that often

Edited by nismothunder

AC delco plugs? These motors like NGK's. ;)

I like Ac and there alot better then the chapions that were in it when I got it...the plugs where probly changed once in the trucks life time(other then by me)

• 2 weeks later...
I like Ac and there alot better then the chapions that were in it when I got it...the plugs where probly changed once in the trucks life time(other then by me)

I personally don't like champions for a lawn mower let alone any form of car/truck/etc.. I have to agree with adamzan, mine tends to prefer NGK as well-and don't skimp on the tune up parts. And definatly change that fuel filter! Your fuel pump will thank you for it.