smaller rim size than required

fleurys

JUst starting to look for the next upgrade and have a small question. The tire i'm looking at needs to be fitted with 7.5" wide minimum up to a 9". I have a 7 " wide rim.

As anyone ever put a tire on a .5" smaller rim then recomended by the manufacturer ??

I'm listening for any lived experience or known issues..not hearsay ...

Thanks..

Don't if you are buying new quality tires.

I have 31x10.5" BFG ATs mounted on 15X6" rims (stock chromies) that was done by the PO. They are pinched, somewhat curved across the tread plane and have not worn evenly. I do rotate and maintain proper pressure. No failures or anything but it doesn't look right or wear right in my experience.

Perhaps if they are oversized trail tires run at low pressure it wouldn't matter?? :shrug:

What sized tires tires do you want to put on what sized rims?

B

I plan to put 31x10.5" tires on 15x8 rims now; almost all 31x10.5" call for 7-9" range rims. Just more info

Don't if you are buying new quality tires.

I have 31x10.5" BFG ATs mounted on 15X6" rims (stock chromies) that was done by the PO. They are pinched, somewhat curved across the tread plane and have not worn evenly. I do rotate and maintain proper pressure. No failures or anything but it doesn't look right or wear right in my experience.

What sized tires tires do you want to put on what sized rims?

B

33 on a 7inch rim... minimum required by manufacturer is stated as 7.5

What width, 10.5?? I know many people have 31x10.5 on their stock 7" rims. I'd lean towards the manufacturer specs though. It could even void the warranty...

I edited the last post while you were posting.

B

What width, 10.5?? I know many people have 31x10.5 on their stock 7" rims. I'd lean towards the manufacturer specs though. It could even void the warranty...

I edited the last post while you were posting.

B

LT285/75R16/E 126/123Q RWL 06464 7.5 - 9 11.3 on 8 33.1 19 628 3750@80 3415@80 KM2

So 285 equals roughly 11"

Height is not as important as width for wheel determination.

I ran 10.5in wide tires (31x10.5x15) on the stock steel 15x6's for a long time and although it was not as apparent as in Precise1's case it did have some of the wear characteristics he mentioned. I currently have 33x10.5x15's o 15x8.5's on the Pathy and for reference, 33x12.5x15's on 15x10 wheels on the yota.

Generally a 10.5in wide tire needs a 7-9in wide wheel. And a 12.5in wide tire needs an 8/8.5-11in wide wheel.

LT285/75R16/E 126/123Q RWL 06464 7.5 - 9 11.3 on 8 33.1 19 628 3750@80 3415@80 KM2

So 285 equals roughly 11"

More like 11.5"... I'm sure you can do it, but I think you would be happier with 8" rims or 275s, IMHO...

B

Yeah. In my experience, 2" or more each side starts to push it a bit and makes things quite dependent on the subtleties of the tire. For example, if the tire bulges a lot or has a very aggressive tread, it could wear badly or make you worry about stability/fitment. Handling won't be great either. Not saying it can't be done. But if you're going to the expense of nice new tires, swapping the existing wheels for wider ones might not be a bad idea.

Plus, if you get wider wheels now and decide to go to 34s or 35s later, you won't have to worry about wheels.

I ran 31x11.5 LTBs on 7" rims and they wore fast in the tread centers. When you put tires on rims that are too narrow, it causes a balloon effect that affects your tread wear. The softer the tire, the more exaggerated the problem becomes. However, narrow rims also offer a mild beadlock effect, so you can run much lower pressures off road. As with most things, there are pluses and minuses.

I'd hunt down a set of 8" rims for those tires unless you're building something that almost never sees the street.

Thanks for the comment but i just want to re-instate a detail...we're talking 1/2 inch of difference here...not 1 or 2... that's my real question..... does 1/2 inch makes a real difference ?

Thanks for the comment but i just want to re-instate a detail...we're talking 1/2 inch of difference here...not 1 or 2... that's my real question..... does 1/2 inch makes a real difference ?

I think folks, self included, are referring to the relationship of the overall width of the tire to the wheel width, not manufacturer recommended width. While the manufacturer has a minimum specified size of 7.5", I think folks are saying 8" is probably a safer bet.

Well, it is 1/2" out of spec, not into spec. Yes, it will make a difference. How much, I can't say (I doubt anything drastic) but it might affect tread life and handling/side wall rigidity some. Yes, you can mount them, but I suspect better perfomance with a larger rim.

Where is Tex, he worked at a tire shop and would have good input... Let me go holler at him.

B

No.

Obviously, if you can get away w/ +2", you'll be able to get by on +.5 with no major issues.

I've driven 12.5" tires on 10" rims for >7 months daily. No problems.

B, do you honestly believe that one puny HALF inch is going to noticeably effect tread life? Really? You're kidding right?

Handling and sidewall rigidity? Are you making this up?

And here I thought a larger tread footprint increased handling capability... Who knew. :lol:

B, do you honestly believe that one puny HALF inch is going to noticeably effect tread life? Really? You're kidding right?

Handling and sidewall rigidity?

I ran BGF AT in 31x10.5" on 15x6" rims for 4 years. The stated rim size requirements for the tire were 7-9" wide. My rims were 1" narrow. I certainly noticed the difference. If the rims were 6.5" wide (.5" narrow) would I have noticed the same thing to a lesser degree? I'd bet on it. I will put my next set of 10.5" wide tires on 8" wide rims.

Damn, that seems like the same width deviation as what I recommend.... Hmmm...

He asked for experience and I gave it. Put your 12.5" tires on 8" rims for years and get back to me, eh?

Are you making this up?

Yes, I spend my time here posting answers in hopes of nefariously misleading the ignorant. :rolleyes:

B

Well, it is 1/2" out of spec, not into spec. Yes, it will make a difference. How much, I can't say (I doubt anything drastic) but it might affect tread life and handling/side wall rigidity some. Yes, you can mount them, but I suspect better perfomance with a larger rim.

Where is Tex, he worked at a tire shop and would have good input... Let me go holler at him.

B

I was hiding :D

Kinda hard to filter 7 years experience into a few sentences :lol:

Here we recommend a min of 8" rims for 33x12.5's, 10" rims fit the best.

The thing is, running a rim not wide enough for the tyre pulls the sidewalls in as you can imagine. They will wear out the centre of the tread, By how much depends on a lot of things.

As funny as it sounds the tyre does get smaller, if you wanted more height....you've only gained half of what you could have.

Think of an extreme example. 2" rim with 12" wide tyre, it'll move THAT much you'll get sea sick.

Hope some of this made sense......Long day at work :D

Handling and sidewall rigidity? Are you making this up?

And here I thought a larger tread footprint increased handling capability... Who knew. :lol:

Not always true :aok: When the footprint gets bigger and you drive over uneven ground (Rough road/bad road) The vehicle will dart all over the place, picking up on edges and small ridges in the road.

Yes race car's have very wide tyres.....As I used to say to boy racers here "You don't drive on those tracks to get to work do you?"

Really? Perhaps that is because that is not only within spec, but it is the IDEAL width rim for a 12.5in wide tire :togo:

I ran 12.5's on 8.5in wide wheels for over ten years without a problem, because it is within recommended spec. Now the 12.5's are on 10in wide rims... remarkably, they are even happier now because that is the wheel width of choice for the tire ;)