Pathy Bumma

OldSlowReliable

Well, my DD (98 malibu) has been growling at me recently while driving, and I KNEW what it was...wheel hub bearing..... (exactly @ time to get replaced too....80k miles) so I take it to the shop to humor my mom, and they confirm its the bearing. They quote me 500 bucks, and I say no thanks (parts are 150 or less, and only take me 30 minutes @ school autoshop) but she refuses. So we are standing there @ the counter, im getting mad, cause 500 bucks would pay for everything i need for the pathy, but she ultimately pulls the 'my car my rules' so i say w/e. We have them change the oil, fuel filter, and check brakes while they are there. They call her today, and tell her that while they were lifting the malibu onto the lift, something got snagged on one of their things, and broke a rear strut. That is 325 to replace, and they refuse to pay for it, discount, and tell her that they can't get it off the lift w/o it. (i KNOW i can do a strut replacement). SHE give the go ahead to do all necessary repairs, and then calls me after im done with school to tell me its done, and i need to go pick it up, and tells me what the bill is. JUST OVER 900 FRIGGIN BUCKS. Im in a huff cause she had me under the impression she would cover it, so i go to the bank, get out 900, (had 100 with me) and make the drive of shame over to the DEALER, fork over 900 in cash....and i get in the car to find they didn't even wash the mud outta the wheelwells when they washed it. Next time, my dang money, mine dang decision!

Well, thats half my savings, and since i paid 3k for the car that is only worth 2k, i have officially paid double for a cheapo car.

And worst, is that ive been saving every penny i can to save into that account for the pathy, and now im set back my pathy budget x2

ALKRAHUR!@#:!#13!!!!!!

Dude, that totally sucks. The dealership owes you $$$. I'd go after 'em unless your mom effectively waived a claim by paying up.

"Something snagged on the lift"... What a bunch of rubbish. "Fine, if you don't want to pay for the broken strut, leave it on the lift. The lift is worth a heck of a lot more than the car." Watch 'em fix it real fast!

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe this is a karmic advance payment on that $10,000 lottery ticket you're gonna win...

Your parents seem to have serious trust issues with you as this is not the first time you've talked about your parents forcing you to pay a dealership for something you can do yourself. I know that you are limited in what you can do, but when your mom is forcing you to pay $750 more to fix her car and you are letting her do it, I think it might be time to start asking yourself some hard questions.

Edited by HankG

Yeah even when I was driving my parents cars the only things I had to were put gas in and if it was due, change the oil. They paid for things to be fixed unless I broke it.

One example, on our rodeo went out and the CEL would flash indicating a misfire, I changed the plugs (they were due at 60k), with NGKs. But it still flashed, but ran fine and I drove it for a bit like that. So they took it to the dealer and they replaced them with denso plugs. Apparently any other plug will set a CEL, with a misfire code. It was like 800 dollars total, but they paid for it, because it wasn't my car, but at least I tried to fix it... Never did get a refund on the plugs either, screw you Napa.

Dude, that totally sucks. The dealership owes you $$$. I'd go after 'em unless your mom effectively waived a claim by paying up.

"Something snagged on the lift"... What a bunch of rubbish. "Fine, if you don't want to pay for the broken strut, leave it on the lift. The lift is worth a heck of a lot more than the car." Watch 'em fix it real fast!

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe this is a karmic advance payment on that $10,000 lottery ticket you're gonna win...

As soon as she called me with the news, i drove over there and told them i wasn't paying for a strut they broke, and apparently my mom said something to 'accidents happen, it should be replaced anyways' so i can't sue... and i even told him i would go in there and fix it MYSELF if they can't take it off the lift..but he just quoted some rule about how customers can't leave the dotted white lined area without being certified or and employee...

Ill be waiting for that lottery ticket :(

Your parents seem to have serious trust issues with you as this is not the first time you've talked about your parents forcing you to pay a dealership for something you can do yourself. I know that you are limited in what you can do, but when your mom is forcing you to pay $750 more to fix her car and you are letting her do it, I think it might be time to start asking yourself some hard questions.

She already gave me the option of selling the car, but now that ive paid 1k too much, and 1k for repairs, if i sold it for 2k id only break even, and she really DOESN'T mean it....just something to hang over my head...

Next car repair, im not tellin her :-)

But i tell you what, we got the pathy for 4k years ago, and only put 1k into since then for uca repair and new exhaust.........This malibu has a huge folder of repairs from the P.O, and not a single one is unnatural for malibus...

Thanks for the comments guys :) makes me <3 NPORA that much more

Yeah even when I was driving my parents cars the only things I had to were put gas in and if it was due, change the oil. They paid for things to be fixed unless I broke it.

One example, on our rodeo went out and the CEL would flash indicating a misfire, I changed the plugs (they were due at 60k), with NGKs. But it still flashed, but ran fine and I drove it for a bit like that. So they took it to the dealer and they replaced them with denso plugs. Apparently any other plug will set a CEL, with a misfire code. It was like 800 dollars total, but they paid for it, because it wasn't my car, but at least I tried to fix it... Never did get a refund on the plugs either, screw you Napa.

At the moment, i am paying for gas, oil, insurance (on pathy and malibu), and eventually ill buy the full value of the car.....and of course repairs....

I told her last time when she wanted me to take it in for the fan belt, if i was paying for this stuff, i want the pros of having my own car...but it seems i just keep getting stuck with the bill and no leftovers (food reference ftw)

That's just wrong. Their mistake, their money. I too hope your mom didn't wave liability when you guys paid up.

I'm sorry to hear that your parents don't trust you with the work you can do. I'm fortunate enough that my parents have full confidence in my work.

How do you snag a strut with a lift? Trying to figure that one out. As said your parents seem to have some trust issue or something. When I would get stuck driving my mom's cars all I had to do was bring it back with as much gas as it had before and fix anything I broke(not that it mattered I fixed anything that broke most the time no matter who was driving it, more like who was paying for parts). I was still paying insurance on whatever of mine was down and was on the same policy so she figured that was enough on that front. Heck she didn't care what I did most of the time to her cars anyway(kinda liked the wheels that ended up on her old Omni as a joke). BTW hows your intake gasket holding up on that Malibu?

How do you snag a strut with a lift? Trying to figure that one out. As said your parents seem to have some trust issue or something. When I would get stuck driving my mom's cars all I had to do was bring it back with as much gas as it had before and fix anything I broke(not that it mattered I fixed anything that broke most the time no matter who was driving it, more like who was paying for parts). I was still paying insurance on whatever of mine was down and was on the same policy so she figured that was enough on that front. Heck she didn't care what I did most of the time to her cars anyway(kinda liked the wheels that ended up on her old Omni as a joke). BTW hows your intake gasket holding up on that Malibu?

The gasket was apparently replaced recently before i bought it, along with the FRONT struts and all the other typical malibu'bu's

and it seems karma has payed its debt!

The owner of Rocks & valleys, the park i went to last weekend....who charged my mom for parking (which they weren't supposed to)....saw my wanted post for a 235/75/15 tire, and is gonna give me a set of 4 of them, with good tread....for FREE the next time i run the park

:D and rims for 40 bucks? thats another set of tires!!!! or FOUR spares ;)

MORE good news!!

My mom simmered about it, and she felt bad about me having to pay for an unexpected repair, so she went back to the dealership, talked to the owner, and showed him how we spend a TON there on repairs....and he decided to give us 180 bucks (all but labor) back, and then my mom made up for the other 120!!

This is really the first time karma has given back :D

i <3 npora

OMFG

Owner of park that is giving me free tires-

i have 4 Chaparels with tread that would get you by till winter and a close to new Scorpion. thats 4 and a spare.

Idk wtf a chaparel is, or a scorpion for that matter, but the scorpion sounds SWEET, and sounds like it should be a good spare, maybe....

:D :D :D

Edited by OldSlowReliable

MORE good news!!

My mom simmered about it, and she felt bad about me having to pay for an unexpected repair, so she went back to the dealership, talked to the owner, and showed him how we spend a TON there on repairs....and he decided to give us 180 bucks (all but labor) back, and then my mom made up for the other 120!!

This is really the first time karma has given back :D

i <3 npora

:aok:

Scorpions are Pirelli's SUV & Truck line. I had a set of Ice & Snows once. Awesome tire. Depending on which Scorpion you get, you may want to buy the other 3 at some point. Some of the Scorpions don't like being run without at least a brother and preferably the entire family (all 4 tires = scorpion) along.

Either way. nice going!

:aok:

Scorpions are Pirelli's SUV & Truck line. I had a set of Ice & Snows once. Awesome tire. Depending on which Scorpion you get, you may want to buy the other 3 at some point. Some of the Scorpions don't like being run without at least a brother and preferably the entire family (all 4 tires = scorpion) along.

Either way. nice going!

Luckily, all five will just be spares, i never plan on running them full time really...considering this summer ill hopefully upgrade to 33x12.5x15 ;)

One question, why does your truck have suck low mileage?

Well, its not THAT much worse than my malibu.....after a weekend of little highway, a day of offroad, and sitting in a car show, running, and revving for two hours...it still got 160 miles outta 11 gallons.....my bu gets around 20mpg average, if not more...