ECU location?

ticker

I want to clear the ecu but I'm not sure where it is. It was under the seat in my 95 but not in the 98. My haynes manual tells me how to clear it but not the location. I read somewhere that it was under the dash(drivers side) in the R50 but I don't see it. Do i have to take the dash apart to get to it? It would be great if someone could tell me with a bit of detail where its at.

Thanks in advance.

The PCM is mounted under the dash above the steering column. It's pretty hard to reach. It's much simpler to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to reset the PCM.

The more basic question, though, is: Why do you want to reset it?

Any PCM reset procedure which requires physical access to the PCM will be difficult at best, due the the inconvenient location under the R50 dashboard. Besides, the only difference between a PCM "reset by procedure" and a battery disconnect is that you don't have to reprogram your radio station presets and clock time with the PCM "reset by procedure".

If you don't want to lose your radio presets, the easiest -by far- technique is to use an OBDII code reader/resetter, such as this one that I randomly found via google search.

Any PCM reset procedure which requires physical access to the PCM will be difficult at best, due the the inconvenient location under the R50 dashboard. Besides, the only difference between a PCM "reset by procedure" and a battery disconnect is that you don't have to reprogram your radio station presets and clock time with the PCM "reset by procedure".

If you don't want to lose your radio presets, the easiest -by far- technique is to use an OBDII code reader/resetter, such as this one that I randomly found via google search.

:yeahthat:

As someone who's taken the entire dash apart himself and watched it be taken apart 3-4 times (lights, electrical work, sheer curiosity) I agree that disconnecting the negative is much easier. While it's relatively easy to get to the fuses - just remove that horribly designed drawer/cubby to the left of steering column, under the light switches - and the OBD II plug, the ECU's harder since it's to the right of the plug. To get room to work in, you'd need to basically unscrew and remove the sill plate, the lower plastic cover and possibly the knee-breaker bracket.

That sounds like a real pain in the arse. At least you could easily get to it in the WD21. The way it was written up in the Haynes Manual made it sound so easy. I guess that it will be easier to pull the battery cable which is what I'll do.

I want to reset the ecu because it was throwing a code, I tried something to fix the problem and now I want to see if the light comes back on. I know I can wait to see if it goes off on its own but I'm impatient.

thanks

That sounds like a real pain in the arse. At least you could easily get to it in the WD21. The way it was written up in the Haynes Manual made it sound so easy. I guess that it will be easier to pull the battery cable which is what I'll do.

I want to reset the ecu because it was throwing a code, I tried something to fix the problem and now I want to see if the light comes back on. I know I can wait to see if it goes off on its own but I'm impatient.

thanks

If your goal is resetting a code, suggest going with a code reader and resetter, like XPlorX4 suggested. Those things come in handy anyway. I refuse to pay $40-$80 each time for a "diagnostic" when I can buy a code reader for $30 and get the Nissan codes free off the web! If you don't want to spend the money, negative terminal is way to go - but be aware you'll lose clock, presets etc

You could also go to Auto Zone or any big auto parts store and they can reset the ECU for you FREE of charge. I did when I had a Ford Taurus that needed a new gas cap, I bought the cap at Auto Zone and ask them to clear the ECU for me at the same time, they have a OBD II there to help customers find the right part for your vehicle.

Edited by KP3S