95 Pathfinder tranny potential problem!

bwyan

I just bought a '95 Pathfinder. It has a brand new Nissan tranny and 90k on the motor. I have heard that these auto transmissions have filters that clog easily and as a result may destroy the tranny. Is this true? Is there anything that I can do to prevent this? -bounce-

it not the filter its the oil cooler

completely bypass the stock cooler

get the biggest & best oil cooler possible from a local auto trans shop and use that instead!

Ive been having transmission overheating problems even though i got a aftermarket oil cooler hooked up and everything.

the tranny gets so hot that it just stops working sometimes

i could have my foot to the floor and it wont respond at all

when im on the highway going up a hill is really bad. it feels like my Pathfinder weighs a million pounds any ideas??

I also came across a problem when i changed out the fluid....it was dark and purple :( due to the overheating :furious:

im getting ready to put in a Holden 404 cooler, i think mine stock one is kaput. now my tranny wont shift, it will rev up to 5k rpm not shifting tilll i let off the gas. Imma do a fluid flush tomarrow. you guys have any idea what could be causing the super long shifts when its not in Power?

I put on the Hayden 679 tranny cooler and the B&M filter kit last month and I can tell a difference in the shifting, and the transmission and the engine temperature seem to be down. We have been having low 90 degree temps every day too.

I would recommend adding the filter kit when doing the cooler add-on. It only takes a little more time and it only cost me $38 for it from Autozone. Now I have piece of mind with the filter that I can change regularly.

I routed the lines from the tranny > filter > Hayden cooler in front of the condenser> to stock cooler > to transmission.

I hooked up the whole system then took the line out of the stock cooler and put it in a bucket and had my wife shift the transmission and made sure there was a good flow of fluid out of the stock cooler before hooking it back up to the transmission.

Here is the filter with the bracket I made.

well i just got done hooking up the new cooler, i knew the old ones clogged easy but geez. i had almost no fluid come out of the stock cooler, like maybe enough drops to fill a bottle cap. :blink:

alright, im wondering if any one has any ideas on this.

i can have it in D and it will not shift when its supposed to, ill accelerate like normal but when its time to shift from 1st to second it will continue to rev untill i let off the gas and it drops RPMs then it will engage the second gear, same with 3rd. reverse is fine, i can drop it in 1st and run fine then manualy switch to second BUT it wont switch at that moment , it will still continue to rev till i let off the gas then it will engage the 2nd gear.

any thoughts? i think its the solinoids, if it is how hard would you guys say it is to fix? :help:

would it be something that a novice could do? or is it just time consuming? otherwise i gotta find a trans shop to work on it. ill run the ECU tests and see what comes up. thnx for the replys

well i tested the ECU and go two things:

battery low and everything ok. i think imma talk my buds dad into helping me check it out, hes ASE certified and i dont think he would mind, he did charge my friend 20bucks to put on his shorty headers.

but this is alittle different that headers...