90-95 Auto Swap to 88 Motor?

SC88Pathy

So the topic pretty much says it all, does anyone know if you can swap the 3 speed + Overdrive automatic from a 90-95 Pathfinder into an 88-89 Pathfinder?

I know that the Transmission ECU will have to be swapped (and the OD shifter as well), but I guess the main question is will the new Transmission ECU play nicely with the Engine ECU from the 88?

You could probably skip the ECU swap and be OK, your existing ECU would just treat it like the 4 speed it has now. Though this is just an assumption, as I have never closely compared the wiring of the 2. If my understanding of the differences is correct, they just changed the ratio on the 3rd and 4th gears, installed a 4th gear lockout switch (OD on/off button), and tweaked the shift points and parameters in the ECU.

:cough: :cough: MT swap....

I know, and that might end up being the route that I go, but I do like having an auto for off roading. There are a lot of situations where it is advantageous.

I know, and that might end up being the route that I go, but I do like having an auto for off roading. There are a lot of situations where it is advantageous.

just learn to drive a tick and you will not mind it at all. :)