hi from Flagstaff az with a $1000 pathy project

im a student at NAU and just bought my first pathy for a $1000 with alot of problems that im just starting to work on. its a 95 manual. so far i really like everything about it (with the exeption of the spark plugs being under the intake manifold and not having a long enough socket extension). i need new cv axles (one gone and one just the boot ripped but i figure i will replace it anyway). i would love to be able to do it myself but i dont have the tools or a place. the speedo is also not working. i found out that pathys often have problems with both the instrument cluster and the speed sensor. any advice on which i should replace first would be great, and i hope to hell i dont have to replace the cable. thanks for any advice and thanks for haveing a great forum.

ps just curious, on my title under model it says LSX, so is it a a xe, se, or le. it has power windows and doors and a flip roof if that helps.

congrats on your find.

i think the 95s have an electronic speed sensor so there wouldnt be a cable to replace.

but the cluster goes bad because of some electrical senders on the cluster itself IIRC. somewhere on here there is a thread about how some people have soldered new and improved parts onto the cluster to make it work again.

on mine the fuel guage went bad and only reads to 3/4 now.

LSX would probably be LE

it is electronic. i already pulled the instrument cluster out, and i figure it would probably not be a short but anything is possible. the local junk yard has a 94, 93, and a 92 instrument cluster for $25 and from what i found i think they changed it to electronic in 93. so as long as the 94 is in good shape ill take that, and 25 bucks is cheap enough that i wouldnt want to bother with the soldering. (i hate electronics)

idk if you already checked this or not, but in my 91 xe, we thought the spedo was broken, but turns out the needle was warped and the friction of it on the bezel made it not move, but if you already got it out, chances are you already would have noticed this :S

Sometimes idk why i post

WELCOME!

Welcome!!

Pull the cluster and check the connections and tighten the brass screws in the back (they are the ground points). No gaurentees, but sometimes that alone works.

B

Welcome!!

Pull the cluster and check the connections and tighten the brass screws in the back (they are the ground points). No gaurentees, but sometimes that alone works.

B

thanks for the advice. i just tried it and cleaning all the connections but unfortunately that didn't work.

Ok, then you have to replace it. (had a speedo fail on my first 95 and bought the second with a bad tach.)

Look for a junk yard replacement or people parting out trucks, both locally and on the forum. I have a truck I'm parting out, but sorry, it has the bad speedo... :shrug:

B

Welcome! I used to live in Flagstaff! I loved it but couldn't afford it. How long have you lived there? I went back last year for a visit but mainly took pix of Sedona where I used to work at the Mac Clinic:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;hl=flagstaff

Enjoy your Pathy and join the club as I also have a dead cluster.

Edited by jpawela

thanks everyone for the welcome. i have lived here a year. those are some nice pics but where is that church. las cruxes is also pretty nice. i have a good freind that i lived with for a while in colorado that lives in ruidoso that i will probably be visiting sometime this summer.

also the junkyard has a speedo for 54 dollars (sorry i was looking as some dumb plastic piece before). normally i wouldnt care about my speedo but if i get one more ticket in the next 2 years i lose my licence. so as long its not the speed sensor on the tranny hopefully i will have it fixed by this weekend.

thanks everyone for the welcome. i have lived here a year. those are some nice pics but where is that church. las cruxes is also pretty nice. i have a good freind that i lived with for a while in colorado that lives in ruidoso that i will probably be visiting sometime this summer.

also the junkyard has a speedo for 54 dollars (sorry i was looking as some dumb plastic piece before). normally i wouldnt care about my speedo but if i get one more ticket in the next 2 years i lose my licence. so as long its not the speed sensor on the tranny hopefully i will have it fixed by this weekend.

That church in hidden in Oak Creek Village on Church Dr. I think. It's after the first of second roundabout as you enter the village. NAU was awesome in my oppinion but too expensive as I was technically not a resident. I used to live off of Lake Mary Rd. on the south side of town.

Las Cruces is okay. Lots of wind and dust and not much rain. It's like a mini-Phoenix. I hear ya on the ticket situation. I was on probation until April of this year. Good luck on the speedo.