pathfinder 7/8ths ton SAS

started with this about 2 years ago. sittin on some 31" mud kings

yea010.jpg

PML and fender flares/step bars removed January 08

S6301146.jpg

trimmed fenders, hurculined the body, and some 34" LTB's

S6301571.jpg

S6301574.jpg

blew the motor last june because i came down hard on a rock at Rausch Creek and blew my rear main. let the oil run too low and spun the front crank bearing. sat for a couple months before i decided to SAS it.

got 2 donor pathys one for the motor and one for a new rebuilt manual tranny to swap in(was an auto tranny)

2r3xu21.jpg

picked up a D44HP Heavy duty out of a 77.5 F250 last december.

axle8.jpg

axle1.jpg

got a FF14B for the rear(no pics but everyone knows what that pig looks like) gonna shave the 14B down about 2.5" including shaving the ring gear.

aquired parts over the past couple months including a NIB detroit for the front for $360 off Pirate.

S7300089.jpg

S7300092.jpg

S7300091.jpg

got 5.38 gears on the way as well as a riddler Diff cover for the D44.

riddler_1.jpg

was going to convert the front to 6 on 5.5 but abandoned that route. going with 8 on 6.5 to match the 14B

my front suspension will be cage arms with 2" .25" wall DOM using QA1 joints. going with progressive bronco lift coils from bronco graveyard. moving the axle foward 2"-4".

http://qa1.thomasnet.com/viewitems/all-cat...1&forward=1

steering will be inverted T with 1.25" .25 wall DOM with 7/8" GM one ton TRE's

rear suspension will be a longarmed version of my stock 4 link+panhard. going with 6.5" XJ front lift coils for the rear. pushing the axle back about 4". going with either a spool or detroit for the rear or i may just weld it. the end of the year im gonna redo my rear suspension to a double triangulated setup.

will be running 36-39" tires. i want some creepy crawlers but they are EXPENSIVE. probably go with some TSL's or LTB's

first wrenchin weekend

gettin started.....it was early!!

S7300130.jpg

S7300131.jpg

IFS GONE!!!!!

S7300132.jpg

S7300133.jpg

pile of unneeded junk

S7300206.jpg

S7300207.jpg

removing crap/disconnecting wires to remove motor

S7300135.jpg

S7300138.jpg

S7300144.jpg

motor/trans out!!!!

S7300146.jpg

as she sits now

S7300204.jpg

pile of new parts

S7300208.jpg

so motor, tranny, IFS is out. gotta cut some more stuff off the front of the frame. very productive day fo sho!!!!

doing the build at my buddys garage in Richmond. hes got a 40X60 garage in his back yard with a car lift(that we need to wire). should be done sometime in June.

ill post up some progress pics as the build continues. this is my first SAS so it will be a learning experience.

Edited by pathmaker1

• 3 weeks later...

engine is in!!!

S7300211.jpg

S7300212.jpg

S7300213.jpg

S7300221.jpg

S7300219.jpg

S7300222.jpg

just need to plug it up and it will run. went ahead and cut out the rad. support member to make the install easier. ill brace it later.

going to clean up the frame and weld on all my link hangers next weekend hopefully. also cleaning up the axles and welding on my coil buckets and link mounts on the axles. im trying to have my axles under it within the next couple weeks.

just picked up my nissan to ford brake lines. im trying to figure out if i want to use 4.5" XJ coils or 6" XJ coils on the corners. i abandoned the bronco coils cause i think they will be too stiff and not flex as much as i want it to. i need to get my axles under it and then take some measurements. my goal is to run 37"-38" tires. im thinkin the 6" XJ coils is what i need.

Edited by pathmaker1

for you SASed folks......what are your thoughts for coils? im thinkin XJ 6.5" coils to stuff 37's. im aiming for the lowest possible COG with the best possible flex. oh ya coils on all 4 corners.

thinkin about bronco coils from bronco graveyard but i think they will be too stiff.

DISCUSS!!!!!

oh ya wrenchin the 6th of june and hopefully have my axles mocked up my the end of the day :jig:

I'd go with the XJ's, low & wide dude, low & wide (I know, I know, I'm not SASed but I've been around enough of them & seen enough of them being built & watched enough roll as well because they were too high & not wide enough-COG).

• 2 weeks later...
I'd go with the XJ's, low & wide dude, low & wide (I know, I know, I'm not SASed but I've been around enough of them & seen enough of them being built & watched enough roll as well because they were too high & not wide enough-COG).

oh yea man i know about low. my goal is only 24" from the frame to ground with 38's. full width will stabilize it quite nicely. fender trimming is a non issue as well as cutting out the rear tubs. im gonna chop top it one day.

the XJ 6.5" lift coils are what im gonna run front and rear. the RE's have a good spring rate(like 160in/lbs) and flex great. coil overs one day but my pocket isnt that deep.

any updates? this looks sick

havent done anymore work on it recently cause of work. i do air conditioning service work for a living so the beginning of the hot season is stupid busy. still shooting for being done in july. going up there in a couple weeks to get the engine running and put the front axle under it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd touch base with ya. I'm doing a SAS this winter also. I got a great deal on some pretty gnarly parts from a '79 Chev 3/4 ton so away I go! Turns out my stuff is pretty similar to yours so I'm curiuos to see how your build comes along.

My stuff:

SM465 4-spd (planning on trading it for a T-400 since I love autos off-road)

NP 205 T-case

14 Bolt FF

D60 (with Warn Gold Series hubs)

I want to do a triangulated 4-link in the rear and likely radius arms and a track bar in the front (I think that's what you're refering to as "cage arms"). Initially I'll be adapting the stock trans to the 205 but eventually I want to use a T-400 with a stock, injected 350 4 bolt.

Good luck with your project, I'm eager to see the results!