Rear wiper and compass

sc89

I have a 1998 Pathfinder SE, and heres my two problems

1. My rear wiper does not work, is it just the rear wiper motor or possibly a fuse? If anyone could give me a little help on this I would really appreciate it, because I don't know too much about mechanics and I am willing to learn

2. Also, my temperature gauge and compass also do not work. It worked a while ago...but now went out. Same as the first question, is there any possible trouble shooting steps I could take to pin point the problem.

Thanks so much guys, and excuse my cluelessness in mechanics and/or electrical systems..

• 2 months later...
I have a 1998 Pathfinder SE, and heres my two problems

1. My rear wiper does not work, is it just the rear wiper motor or possibly a fuse? If anyone could give me a little help on this I would really appreciate it, because I don't know too much about mechanics and I am willing to learn

2. Also, my temperature gauge and compass also do not work. It worked a while ago...but now went out. Same as the first question, is there any possible trouble shooting steps I could take to pin point the problem.

Thanks so much guys, and excuse my cluelessness in mechanics and/or electrical systems..

I have the same problem with a twist. My front wiper does not work either.

sometimes corrosion builds on the exterior parts of the rear wiper. you can take the wiper arm off and try to spray some penetrating oil to loosen it up. If you need to look at the interior area, remove the plastic moulding on the inside of the hatch to get at it.

For the rear wiper, if the fuse is not blown, most likely it is seized. Do what nige said and should free up if you "help" it along. Sometimes if the motor is gone it will keep popping fuses.

Is the wiper sitting in it's resting place? Or is it stuck partway up the window somewhere? Also don't force it too much or else you will strip the plastic gear inside, the worm gear on the motor is made of metal I believe.

Does the wiper try and move at all? On my 96 my wiper switch internals crapped out. As for the compass, is it the compass not reading correctly or is it the temp not reading?

The whole console is dead. It was intermittently working today.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the wiper try and move at all? On my 96 my wiper switch internals crapped out. As for the compass, is it the compass not reading correctly or is it the temp not reading?

The compass and temperature gauge doesn't show anything at all, maybe its a battery, fuse?

The compass and temperature gauge doesn't show anything at all, maybe its a battery, fuse?

It's intermittent. It happed this morning again. As I was driving arround the wipers and console cam back to life.

It's intermittent. It happed this morning again. As I was driving arround the wipers and console cam back to life.

Sounds like a grounding issue. I'll check the FSM to see if there is a common point that both ground to. I know that the overhead display wires and the switch both ground under the dash, but not sure where or if they both ground to the same point.

Have you installed or changed anyting recently or has this problem been in place for a while?

Sounds like a grounding issue. I'll check the FSM to see if there is a common point that both ground to. I know that the overhead display wires and the switch both ground under the dash, but not sure where or if they both ground to the same point.

Have you installed or changed anyting recently or has this problem been in place for a while?

It just hapenned 2 weeks ago once and today. Haven't installed anything. I have a temp emergency setup with a switch, fuse and relay to operate the wiper motor.

It just hapenned 2 weeks ago once and today. Haven't installed anything. I have a temp emergency setup with a switch, fuse and relay to operate the wiper motor.

Please explain the set up in more deatil. You mean you have bypassed the factory set up with the above parts to make the wiper work?

There is one common ground for both parts. The ground is for the rear wiper switch & the ground for the display. The common point is circled on the attachment as M4. Look at the box above in the pic too as it shows a reference to one of the M4 grounding points. This is under the driver's side kick panel, though I'm not 100% certain where. Probably just above or below the relay/wiring box there. Hopefully its easy to find as there are 2 grounds close to each other. Unhook the battery and check the connections for corrosion.

7279530064_large.jpg

Edited by HFXpathfinders

• 3 weeks later...
Please explain the set up in more deatil. You mean you have bypassed the factory set up with the above parts to make the wiper work?

There is one common ground for both parts. The ground is for the rear wiper switch & the ground for the display. The common point is circled on the attachment as M4. Look at the box above in the pic too as it shows a reference to one of the M4 grounding points. This is under the driver's side kick panel, though I'm not 100% certain where. Probably just above or below the relay/wiring box there. Hopefully its easy to find as there are 2 grounds close to each other. Unhook the battery and check the connections for corrosion.

7279530064_large.jpg

Thanks for the help.

I did find a very corroded ground under the driver's kick panel and I will relocate that. It sort of looks like that top left pic insert in the FSM.

I also had to replace the link between the the motor and the arm links as well because it kept popping off. I managed to also duplicate the problem. Every time I turn on either the front or rear wipers they go dead with the compass and temp gauge for a while.

My emrgency setup has a awitch, relay and a 15 amp fuse that I can power the front motor as needed.