3.8L Taurus Fan

beastpath

I've bid on this: 3.8L Ford Taurus Fan

but looking at some of the posts on here I read that some people think the one with the "cut out" shoulder is not the right one.

I messaged the guy, and he said he doesnt know if it is variable speed, but that it works and he has the controller unit for sale also. just sent him another message asking him if there are 3 wires going to the motor.

does it look like the right one or not? do i need that controller, or does that come in the electric fan "kits" people have used on here?

That's the right one...nine blades. It's dual speed, not variable. Just a high and low. I'm only using the low speed on mine and it works like a champ even in the FL summers while idling and low range off road with the A/C on.

You could get a controller kit or make one of your own with a switch, a temp probe, some wire and a couple relays.

post-253-1239846526_thumb.jpg

I've bid on this: 3.8L Ford Taurus Fan

but looking at some of the posts on here I read that some people think the one with the "cut out" shoulder is not the right one.

I messaged the guy, and he said he doesnt know if it is variable speed, but that it works and he has the controller unit for sale also. just sent him another message asking him if there are 3 wires going to the motor.

does it look like the right one or not? do i need that controller, or does that come in the electric fan "kits" people have used on here?

That's definitely not the one I picked up so I can't say for sure if it is a dual speed or not. The common ones don't have that cutout on them. Also, $40 US is a rip-off for a fan like that. I picked one up at a local junkyard for $15 CND bucks and I knew it was dual speed when I bought it.

I bought a flex-a-lite controller that came with everything I needed to run the fan.

Yeah as JJ said a 3.8L Taurus fan has nine blades and it should also have a 3pin connector (Hi/Low/Ground)

Mine has a slightly different shroud, it does not have the extension below the cutout.

Looks like this:

fa70113.jpg

Strange, I have never seen one with that extension on it, and I looked at a lot of (busted) them while I was searching for a used replacement for my old LX. Checked Schucks website (becoming oreilly auto) and they do not show the one you found. That one looks to be the same fan though, perhaps it's from a T-Bird/Cougar/MarkVII

Both sides combined I have about 3-3.5in of radiator to the sides of the shroud. If that is not any wider than this then you may be able to position it without modification. If it is wider then you'll probably have to trim it.

I personally would trim off what you need then bond the end of it back in where you trimmed, so that it closes the opening back up forcing it to pull more air through the radiator like is should :aok:

• 3 weeks later...

make sure you have an alternator strong enough to push it.. and that 80A relay.. it sucks some juice when it kicks on.. had on in my mustang kept that suckah cool..on low.

I've got one of those in my garage. Lemme go count blades.

Yep, 9 blades. Dated 10/91. Three wires, no removable plug.

no removable plug? as in the plug socket is there with the 3 prongs but not the part that connects to it?

mine just got here and thats how mine is too. can i just use spade connectors on the prongs or is there another way to retrofit it?

As in, the wires come directly out of the motor with no way to unplug them at all.

If you can find spade connectors to fit the prongs, make sure they're heavy duty ones, or at least quality ones...that fan pulls a hell of a lot of amperage on startup and you don't want weenie crimp connectors starting fires, heh.

• 1 month later...

I just scored on eof these 3.8 Taurus fans, however I am on shift all this weekend and wont be able to get to it until sometime next week.

Just curious.... (and this goes out to the ones who have already done this mod)

How did you guys mount your fan?

I have a traditional AutoZone E fan installed as of now with its own through the radiator kit.

I am planning on fabbing up a mount of some sort, just wanted to see how some of you vets have done it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok, am getting ready to install this sucker to help keep my a/c cold in this ridiculous heat.

Was wondering if I can use the stock temperature sender to tell the electric fan control when to turn off and on? could I just splice into that instead of using a radiator probe?

Was wondering if I can use the stock temperature sender to tell the electric fan control when to turn off and on? could I just splice into that instead of using a radiator probe?

No, you can't use the stock sensor, because it's a gauge sender. You need a temperature switch. You can buy overpriced aftermarket ones that have a capillary probe that you stick in the fins of your rad, or you can do some junkyard huntin' to find one from any number of different vehicles for about two bucks.

I used one from an 80s VW Jetta... it screws into the rad on those models, as well as Audis, Saabs and some Volvos.. same switch. It turns on at 195 and off at 180 (if I recall correctly... the temperature is stamped on the switch in degrees Celsius. There are 180, 195 and 210 degree versions out there, so pay attention). Then, I went to Home Depot and bought a female brass fitting with the same thread size, and soldered it into the metal bleeder pipe in my upper rad hose (VG30). Some wirin' and a switch inside the cab to shut the whole thing down for deep water, and it's worked perfectly for two years now. Total cost, about five bucks.

I've never personally seen one of those capillary tube probes fail, but I've heard plenty of stories. It seems like a half-ass to me to be getting a temp reading from the rad fins instead of the actual coolant stream. Plus, at least here in Canada, they're about $50.

Oh, and also, I've been running two regular old 30A Bosch-style relays in parallel to power my Taurus fan since I put the thing in with no problems (low setting only). There's no need to buy some fancy ultra-high current relay **unless you plan to use the fan's high speed**, but do make sure that both relays have the same wire lengths if you go parallel.

Plus, junkyard shopping is fun!

S

ill just get a hayden fan control then. 35 bucks from summit, and includes the sensor. will run a secondary temp guage aswell, so I know exactly how hot my truck is running.