Planning a Motor build

As most of you know my pathfinder is not running well, and with my parents taking it out of my hands and putting it on my grandparents farm for a while, I was thinking about in my time left before summer, doing a motor build.

Thinking about doing a VG30i (the same motor in my pathfinder now)

I can get the whole motor for about $150-$175 from a friend at a local junk yard.

I also have a friend who has a trucking company who does engine fabrication and engine repairs who said he would do anything I needed for almost free considering I got him a date and a little "somethin somethin" hehe

He told me he would machine the cylinders for $30, check the specs on the heads for $20 a head and any other things I may need.

Thinking about it, just wanting some opinions on the idea...

Share your thoughts....thanks!

And if you think I should do something different let me know...

Edited by Nytrosfinder

If you can get all the work done for cheap why not go bigger?

3.3 swap

basically get a vg33e from your buddy @ the JY and use your old intake manifold and sensors.... Basically make it a VG33i. Check the writeup above, and it wont cost too much more for that extra 10% powergain and a 1-2MPG gain (3.3 heads are more efficent+ bigger motor doesn't have to work as hard as a smaller one)

I am thinking about it, But I am thinking about doing a motor build from the base block. As in new pistons, arms, crankshaft, the whole 9 yards.

The one thing I wanna know...

Should I do a VG30 motor or a VG33 motor. And are the blocks different?

Basically I wanna know which motor would be worth it, a VG30 or a VG33? What years of pathfinders they are in?

And is their anything that I should avoid, try, or should I just not even try it?

Should I do a VG30 motor or a VG33 motor. And are the blocks different?

Basically I wanna know which motor would be worth it, a VG30 or a VG33? What years of pathfinders they are in?

And is their anything that I should avoid, try, or should I just not even try it?

vg33, blocks are the same, I beilve VG33 came stock in the following;

You can find all the answers in the link on my prevous reply. just click on the underlined "3.3 swap" and read the pages that follow.

vg33, blocks are the same, I beilve VG33 came stock in the following;

You can find all the answers in the link on my prevous reply. just click on the underlined "3.3 swap" and read the pages that follow.

Appreciate it man!

The one thing I have a problem with is, Will the motor mounts in an 88 line up with a motor from a 96? Or will I have to do some modifying?

Appreciate it man!

The one thing I have a problem with is, Will the motor mounts in an 88 line up with a motor from a 96? Or will I have to do some modifying?

Nytros! You seem like a smart guy and pretty enthusiastic- but this is the third time I have seen you ask a question, get it answered in a spectacular fashion (thats why I come here- some smart and helpful folks here!) and then you ask a bunch of new questions that are answered directly in the previous answer given to you. Not getting down on you, but if you want the help to continue- start using the help given already. In this case- click the link in My1path's answer and all will be revealed. And My1- that was an awesome link- answered some questions I did not knew I had yet!

Nytros! You seem like a smart guy and pretty enthusiastic- but this is the third time I have seen you ask a question, get it answered in a spectacular fashion (thats why I come here- some smart and helpful folks here!) and then you ask a bunch of new questions that are answered directly in the previous answer given to you. Not getting down on you, but if you want the help to continue- start using the help given already. In this case- click the link in My1path's answer and all will be revealed. And My1- that was an awesome link- answered some questions I did not knew I had yet!

Yeahhhh, I know.... I apologize for being kinda stupid about it... been kinda down lately cause my parents moved/ towed my pathfinder to my grandparents farm in western NC till about June 10th cause of "bad grades." (Then I will be in NY all summer, then college, so my pathfinder will most likely sit for a long time...Hence why doing a motor build now will be a pleasant surprise later on in life. Thus explaining my disappointment)

I am passing the classes with a B and a High C, yet my midterms were a 69 and a 68... they freaked...

So being kinda bummed kinda jogged my memory and wasn't thinking clearly...

I will try to read more carefully in the future...

Appreciate it man!

Don't know about the quest/villager(guessing they wouldn't change it for just 1 out of 5 veches) but the others fit the motor mounts fine.

Yeahhhh, I know.... I apologize for being kinda stupid about it... been kinda down lately cause my parents moved/ towed my pathfinder to my grandparents farm in western NC till about June 10th cause of "bad grades." (Then I will be in NY all summer, then college, so my pathfinder will most likely sit for a long time...Hence why doing a motor build now will be a pleasant surprise later on in life. Thus explaining my disappointment)

I am passing the classes with a B and a High C, yet my midterms were a 69 and a 68... they freaked...

So being kinda bummed kinda jogged my memory and wasn't thinking clearly...

I will try to read more carefully in the future...

No sweat man- I was in your shoes just (OMG I just calulated this!) 22 years ago! I had to quit my jobs to when the grades slipped. THe good thing for you is you have plenty of motivation and enthusiasm and your folks probably see this too- thats why they are holding your truck hostage. Keep us posted on your progress and remember if undertaking a project like this: Take your time, no shortcuts on parts or materials and make it yours. :itsallgood:

No sweat man- I was in your shoes just (OMG I just calulated this!) 22 years ago! I had to quit my jobs to when the grades slipped. THe good thing for you is you have plenty of motivation and enthusiasm and your folks probably see this too- thats why they are holding your truck hostage. Keep us posted on your progress and remember if undertaking a project like this: Take your time, no shortcuts on parts or materials and make it yours. :itsallgood:

thanks man... and btw... I most always choose to NEVER "1/2 *ss" "redneck" "modify" "shortcut" "rip off" a project.

cause that only makes me seem stupid for spending money now, then spending more money later to fix my mistake....

My philosophy.... do it right... always...